Development of D18 Cell Technology at Dubal
Despite the development and construction of new pot technologies at Dubai Aluminium (Dubai), development and improvement of the original D18 cell technology has been sustained, and continues to play a significant part of the growth and expansion of the company.
This paper summarises the progress of the original D18 cell technology at Dubai over the past few years, and its contribution towards the goal of 1 million tonnes plant annual hot metal production
Amperage has increased from an original design target of 155kA up to 196kA in 2008. To ensure adequate pot performance is maintained with this increase in production, there has been significant development of the cell alumina, bath chemistry and heat balance control. Other changes such as anode size increase, modifications to the cathode and measures to ensure busbar integrity have allowed for further planned amperage and production increase over the next five years.
Keywordsamperage increase heat balance busbar
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y.A.M. Al Farsi, A. Meghlaoui and N. AlJabri, CD20 Reduction Cell Upgrade For Dubai’s Expansion Project, Light Metals 2005.Google Scholar
- 2.D. Whitfield and G. Oldenhof, Reduction of Amperage at New Zealand Aluminium Smelters, Light Metals 2006.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Al-Jallaf, A.H.A. Mohamed, Kumar A. and M.S.W. Ali, Evolution of CD20 Reduction Cell Technology Towards Higher Amperage Plan at Dubai, Light Metals 2009.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Jassim, Internal Dubai ReportGoogle Scholar
- 5.V. Kumar, Internal Dubai ReportGoogle Scholar