Alcoa STARprobe™ is a probe device/system used to measure cryolitic bath properties including Superheat, Temperature, Alumina concentration, and cryolite Ratio (acidity), STAR, all together in real time for active pot control. The proprietary measurement principle is based on differential thermal analysis (DTA). This paper shows the fundamentals of operation along with the correlation of all the analysis with the accepted methods of XRD and pyrotitration for acidity, thermocouples for Bath Temperature and LECO and XRF analysis for alumina. The timing of the measurement will be shown to be equal to the traditional methods and the reliability (including reusable use of the probes) will also be described.
KeywordsElectrolysis aluminum smelting aluminum reduction analysis method differential thermal analysis temperature superheat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y.R Gan et al: “Multifunction Sensor for Use in Aluminum Cells”, TMS Light Metals, 1995, p233.Google Scholar
- 2.P. Verstreken and S. Benninghoff: “Bath and Liquidus Temperature Sensor for Molten Salts”, TMS LM, 1996, p437.Google Scholar
- 3.M. P. Taylor and J. J. Chen: “Applying Control Principles to Superheat”, 1st Superheat user Meeting, 19th–23rd, March 2005, South Africa.Google Scholar
- 4.P. Verstreken: “Review of 9-box Control — How can we improve”, 1st Superheat user Meeting, 19th–23rd, March 2005, South Africa.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Bates: US Patent 6,220,748, expires 1/15/2019.Google Scholar
- 6.B. Hosier et al: US Patent 6,942,381, expires9/25/2023.Google Scholar
- 7.D. J Madsen: “Temperature Measurement and Control in Reduction Cells”, TMS Light Metals 1992, p453.Google Scholar
- 8.X. Wang et al: “Paradox in cell Temperature Measurement Using Type K Thermocouple”, TMS Light Metals, 2006, p279.Google Scholar