Cell Preheat/Start-up and Early Operation
The most common methods for preheating industrial aluminum pots are reviewed and advantages and disadvantages of each method are presented. Also, the present industrial trend of reducing pot turnaround times is commented and measurements of deep-lining temperatures at start-up are related to the pot behavior in early operation. In general it is seen that shorter preheating times is unfavorable for pot stability in early operation and this effect may limit the potential for further pot turnaround time reductions or lead to operational problems and/or reduced potlife.
KeywordsPreheating Start-Up Early Operation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Vasanthakumar et al, “Reduction in pot turn around time”, General Abstracts of the TMS Light Metals 2007, pp.9–11.Google Scholar
- 2.Berndt, G. and Eich, I., Improvements in the electric heating of Hall-Heroult pots, Light Metals 2007, pp. 1001–1006.Google Scholar
- 3.A.H. Mohammed, B.K. Kakkar, A. Kumar, “Improvement in cell preheat and start-up at Dubai, TMS Light Metals 2007, pp 997–1000.Google Scholar
- 4.Kristensen, E., Hostkuldsson, G. and Welch, B., Potline startup with low anode effect frequency, Ligth Metals 2007, pp. 411–416.Google Scholar
- 5.Lorentsen, O.A., and Rye, K.Å., The New Elkem Aluminium Gas Preheating System for Prebake and Søderberg Cells, 9th International Symposium on Light Metals Production, ed. Jomar Thonstad, NTNU, Tromsø-Trondheim, Aug. 18.–21., 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.Lorentsen, O.-A., and Rye, K.Å., The New Elkem Aluminium Gas Preheating System for Prebake and Søderberg Cells, 6th Australasian Aluminium Smelting Technology Conf., Queenstown, New Zealand, 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.Modern Aluminium Cell Preheating System. A way to increase the Life Time of the Cathode Cell, pamphlet, Industri-Teknik Bengt Fridh AB, Företagsvägen 16–232 37 Arlöv — Sweden, firstname.lastname@example.org, 2007–09-18.Google Scholar
- 8.Bentzen, H. Hvistendahl, J., Jensen, M, Melås, J. and Sørlie, M., Gas Preheating and Start of Søderberg Cells, TMS, Light Metals 1991, pp. 741–747.Google Scholar
- 9.Zangiacomi, C. et al., Preheating Study of Smelting Cells, TMS, Light Metals 2005, pp. 333–336.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Richard, P. Goulet, M. Dupuis and M. Fafard, “Thermo-chemo-mechanical modeling of a Hall-Heroult cell thermal bake-out”. TMS Light Metals 2006, pp. 669–674.Google Scholar
- 11.Kvande, H. “Cell Start-up”, Int.Course on Process Metallurgy of Aluminum, Trondheim, 1996Google Scholar
- 12.O-A. Lorentsen and K. Rye. “Twelve years experience with a fully automated gas preheating system for Søderberg and prebake cells.” TMS Light Metals 2008 — to be published.Google Scholar