Characterization of the Interface of Co-Extruded Asymmetric Aluminum-Titanium Composite Profiles
The combination of different light alloys enables lightweight solutions with tailor-made properties at the macroscopic global as well as at the microscopic scale. In this context co-extrusion by Equal Channel Angular Pressing (ECAP) offers a great potential for advanced profiled structures. While titanium alloys show particular high mechanical strength and good corrosion resistance, aluminum alloys provide a considerable high specific bending stiffness along with low materials costs.
The mechanical properties of metallic compounds strongly depend on the bonding mechanisms, which are initiated during processing. In order to enable a rigid adhesive bond between Al and Ti in this study the extrusions were processed by means of ECAP that is known for reducing the activation energy for diffusion bonding. Hence, the study is focused on the general manufacturing of Al-Ti-compounds by ECAP. The second aim of the study was to investigate the development of the bonding zone during processing. Experiments were made with the material combination Al 99.5 and titanium grade 2. The bonding zones of the co-extruded samples were analyzed by scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersive X-ray analysis. The bond strength was determined by quasi-static tensile tests. Compared to the as-extruded condition an intermetallic layer was formed during heat treatment. The layer was characterized by scanning electron microscopy and electron probe micro analysis.
Keywordsaluminum titanium co-extrusion diffusion bonding intermetallic layer ECAP LACE
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Wilden, J. P. Bergmann: Möglichkeiten zum Herstellen von Mischverbindungen durch Diffusionsschweißen. Schweißen und Schneiden, 2004, 56 (5), pp. 199Google Scholar
- P. G. Partridge, C. M. Ward-Close: Diffusion bonding of advanced materials. Metals and Materials, 1989, 5 (6), pp. 334Google Scholar
- J. Hirsch: Walzen von Flachprodukten. Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2001.Google Scholar
- M. Schmidtchen, P. Simecek, D. Hadjuk: International Conference on Metal Forming — MEFORM 2004, Freiberg, Deutschland, 2004, pp. 81–110.Google Scholar
- J. J. Theler, A. Wagner, A. Ames: Herstellung von Aluminium/ Stahl-Verbundstromschienen mit metallurgischer Bindung zwischen Aluminium und Stahl durch Verbundstrangpressen. Metallwissenschaft und Technik 30 (1976) 3, pp. 223–227.Google Scholar
- Hesse, W.: Aluminium-Werkstoffdatenblätter. 5. Auflage, Aluminium Verlag, Düsseldorf 2007Google Scholar
- Striewe, B.; Grittner, N.; von Hehl, A.; Hunkel, M.; Stelling, O. Characterisation of the bonding zone of co-extruded aluminium-titanium compounds Materials Science and Engineering Technology 43 (2012) 4, S. 315–320Google Scholar
- Barr, A.; Hunkel, M.; von Hehl, A. Determination of local material properties of laser beam welded aluminium-steel and aluminium- titanium compounds Materials Science and Engineering Technology 43 (2012) 4, S. 321–327Google Scholar