The Synthesis and Processing of Self-Healing Materials: A Lamellar Shape Memory Alloy in Composite Structure
Nontraditional self-healing alloy composite has been introduced to address the need for self-repairable high-strength structural materials. Cu-Zn/Al laminates are uniaxial hot pressed for either lamellar or particulate composite. A new bridging and stitching technique is introduced with crack mitigation via the synergetic effect of interfacial alloying elements. Low melting phase (LMP) induced structures of Al phase, Cr-Fe phase, and Al-Cu-Zn phase via alloy segregation. Microstructural and mechanical characterization is also established via scanning electron microscopy, energy dispersive x-ray spectroscopy and tensile testing. The interphase kinetic established with micro plasticity, metal flow, low melting phase, LMP and delocalized Al enriched zone and Cu enriched zone. The improvements in performance of self-healing interphase with SMA composite structure are due to heating of low melting phase induce crack closure, and crack mitigation via stitching and bridging mechanisms. Engineering material can be designed with multifunctionalities ranging from the macro- to Nano-scale to optimize performance while minimizing time and the need for extensive repair.
KeywordsComposite, HIPing Hybrid interface, interphase fibrous, laminated, LMP, Self-healing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hurley S, MMCs Find Broad Range of Niche Markets, 1995, Met. Bull. Mon., pp. 54–56.Google Scholar
- 2.Otsuki M S, Kakehashi S, Kohno T, “Powder Forging of Rapidly Solidified Aluminum Alloy Powders and Mechanical Properties of Their Forged Parts”, in: Advances in Powder Metallurgy, vol. 2, Metal Powder Industries Federation, Princeton, NJ, 1990, pp. 345–349.Google Scholar
- 5.Soni P R,“ Mechanical Alloying- Fundamentals & Applications”, Press: Cambridge International Science Publishing, 2001, 6–23 p.Google Scholar
- 9.Kirkby, Eva L.; Rule, Joseph D.; Michaud, Véronique J.; Sottas, Nancy R.; White, Scott R.; Månson, Jan-Anders E.,“ Active repair of self-healing polymers with shape memory alloy wires”, Behavior and Mechanics of Multifunctional and Composite Materials 2007. Edited by Dapino, Marcelo J.. Proceedings of the SPIE, Volume 6526, article id. 65261E (2007).Google Scholar
- 10.Oleg Neikov, Stanislav Naboychenko, Irina Mourachova , Victor Gopienko ,Irina Frishberg, Dina Lotsko, Handbook of Non-Ferrous Metal Powders, Technologies and Applications; Press: Elsevier, 2009, 267–283 p.Google Scholar