Focus on the Business Model Canvas
- 1.5k Downloads
This chapter introduces the Business Model Canvas (BMC), an open-source, design-thinking tool. In step-by-step detail, each of the four quadrants of the sustainability lens is applied to the nine sections of the BMC, creating an array of 36 different angles and approaches for enterprises to imagine and realize sustainable development.
KeywordsBusiness Model Canvas Key partners Value proposition Customer segments Revenue Design thinking
- ABC. (2016). Artisan Beverage Cooperative. Retrieved September 8, 2016 from http://artbev.coop/.
- Alexosterwalder. (2016). Hi! I’m Alex Osterwalder. Retrieved August 31, 2016 from http://alexosterwalder.com/.
- Borden, L. (1 October 2014). How my family celebrates a healthier Halloween. Huffington Post. Retrieved September 6, 2016 from http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/lisa-borden/reverse-trick-or-treating_b_5868966.html.
- Businessmodelalchemist. (2016). Business model alchemist. Retrieved August 31, 2016 from http://businessmodelalchemist.com/.
- Businessmodelgeneration. (2016). Business model generation. Retrieved August 31, 2016 from http://www.businessmodelgeneration.com/book.
- Carpenter, S. (October 2011). Buy in bulk: Those big bins mean fewer recyclables. L.A. at Home. LA Times. October 14, 2011.Google Scholar
- Creativecommons. (2016). What we do. Retrieved August 31, 2016 from https://creativecommons.org/about/.
- Crutchfield, L., & McLeod Grant, H. (2012). Forces for good. CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- EPA & DOT. (August 2011). Final rulemaking to establish greenhouse gas emissions standards and fuel efficiency standards for medium- and heavy-duty engines and vehicles. Regulatory impact analysis. Report no. EPA-420-R-11-901.Google Scholar
- Equal Exchange. (2016). About. Retrieved August 28, 2016 from http://equalexchange.coop/about.
- ERM. (2013). Five basics to managing innovation risk. Enterprise Risk Management Initiative (ERM), Poole College of Management. North Carolina State University.Google Scholar
- FINE. (2006). Business unusual. Brussels: Fair Trade Advocacy Office.Google Scholar
- Forcesforgood. (2016). Our findings. Retrieved September 2, 2016 from http://www.forcesforgood.net/findings.html.
- Global Exchange. (2016). Get your reverse trick or treating kit today. Retrieved September 6, 2016 from http://www.globalexchange.org/get-your-reverse-trick-or-treating-kit-today.
- Haney, B. (2007). The price of sugar. Uncommon Productions.Google Scholar
- Katalyst Kambucha. (2016). Tap program. Retrieved September 8, 2016 from http://katalystkombucha.com/tap-program/.
- Lentil as Anything. (2016). About. Retrieved September 8, 2016 from http://lentilasanything.com/about/.
- NCA. (2014). NCA’s 2014 Annual Confectionery Industry review. Retrieved September 6, 2016 from http://www.candyusa.com/data-insights/state-of-the-confectionery-industry/.
- New Belgium. (2016). Values and stories. Retrieved September 6, 2016 from http://www.newbelgium.com/sustainability.
- Nooka. (2016). About. Nooka, Inc. Retrieved August 2, 2016 from www.nooka.com/.
- O’Keefe, B. (March 2016). Bitter sweets. Fortune magazine.Google Scholar
- Osterwalder, A. (2004). The business model ontology - A proposition in a design science approach. PhD thesis, University of Lausanne. France.Google Scholar
- Osterwalder, A., & Pigneur, Y. (2010). Business model generation. New York: Wiley Publishing.Google Scholar
- Outdoor Retailer. (2010). Sustainability. Retrieved September 8, 2016 from http://www.outdoorretailer.com/sustainability.shtml, 2010.
- Ries, E. (2011). The Lean Startup. Crown Business.Google Scholar
- Runa. (2016). Impact. Retrieved August 30, 2016 from runa.org/impact/#social-impact.
- Segran, E. (July 2016). How sundial brands CEO richelieu dennis is challenging segregation in the beauty aisle. Fast Company magazine.Google Scholar
- Stitch, T. (2016). Workshop. Retrieved September 8, 2016 from https://www.taylorstitch.com/collections/workshop.
- SundialBrands. (2016). About us. Retrieved September 6, 2016 from http://www.sundialbrands.com/about-us/.
- Tulane University. (July 2015). Final report: 2013/14 survey research on child labor in West African cocoa growing areas. School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Tulane University.Google Scholar
- World Fair Trade Organization. (6 October 2011). 10 principles of fair trade. Retrieved August 30, 2012 from http://www.wfto.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2&Itemid=14.ion=com_content&task=view&id=2&Itemid=14.
- Worrall, A. (February 2015). Lean takings as tightwad diners exploit lentil as anything’s philosophy. GoodFood.com. Retrieved September 8, 2016 from http://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/news/lean-takings-as-tightwad-diners-exploit-lentil-as-anythings-philosophy-20150208-138wvk.