Building the Lens
- 1.1k Downloads
This chapter goes deeper into the question of “why sustainability?” It introduces key terms and examines the idea of sustainability from the perspective of a shared global environment where the actions of one affect all. Here the ideas of Suma Qamana and Circles of Sustainability, which form the base of the sustainability lens, are more deeply explored.
KeywordsCircles of Sustainability United Nations Development Programs (UNDP) Globalization Business Model Canvas Suma Qamana Transparency Economics
- Baer, D. (28 February 2014). How Patagonia’s new CEO is increasing profits while trying to save the world. Fast Company. Retrieved August 27, 2016 from http://www.fastcompany.com/3026713/lessons-learned/how-patagonias-new-ceo-is-increasing-profits-while-trying-to-save-the-world.
- Battiste, M. (2002). Indigenous knowledge and pedagogy in first nations education a literature review with recommendations. Minister of Indian and Northern Affairs, INAC. Canada.Google Scholar
- B Corp. (2016). What are B Corps? Retrieved August 29, 2016 from https://www.bcorporation.net/.
- Bradley, L. (2010). The butterfly effect. Chaos and Fractals. Space Telescope Science Institute. Baltimore, MD.Google Scholar
- Bump, P. (21 April 2015). The very simple reason more money is spent on lobbyists than on Congress. The Washington Post, DC.Google Scholar
- Choquehuanca, D. (2010). Vivir Bien. Ministery of Foreign Relations. Bolivia: International Institute of Integration, III-CAB.Google Scholar
- Dabla-Norris, E., Kochhar, K., Ricka, F., Suphaphiphat, N., & Tsounta, E. (June 2015). Causes and consequences of income inequality: A global perspective. International Monetary Fund: Strategy, Policy, and Review Department.Google Scholar
- Duhigg, C., & Barboza, D. (25 January 2012). In China, human costs are built into an iPad. New York Times.Google Scholar
- Equal Exchange. (2016). About. Retrieved August 28, 2016 from http://equalexchange.coop/about.
- Garcia, J., Lozano, A., Olivera, J., & Ruiz, C. (2004). Learning wisdom and the good way to live. Ecuador: Amawtay Wasi Cross Cultural University. Imprenta Mariscal.Google Scholar
- Hernandez Navarro, L. (12 March 2012). Bolivia has transformed itself by ignoring the Washington Consensus. The Guardian. Retrieved August 27, 2016 from https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/mar/21/bolivia-washington-consensus.
- Hopkins, R. (2011). The transition companion. Vermont: Chelsea Green Publishing.Google Scholar
- Huanacuni Mamani, F. (2010). Vivir Bien/Buen Vivir, 4th edition. Coordinadora Andina de Organizaciones Indigenas, CAOI. Peru: Lima.Google Scholar
- IMS Barter. (2016). About IMS barter. Retrieved August 28, 2016 from: https://www.imsbarter.com/about-ims-barter.
- Monni, S., & Pallottino, M. (2013). Beyond growth and development: Buen Vivir as an alternative to current paradigms. Working Paper n°172. Dipartimento di EconomiaUniversità. Università degli Studi Roma Tre. Italy.Google Scholar
- Noguchi, Y. (28 August 2015). Comparing the top boss’s pay to yours. All things considered. National Public Radio, NPR.Google Scholar
- Sarango, L. (2009). La Universidad Intercultural de las Nacionalidades y Pueblos Indígenas “Amawtay Wasi.” Caracas: Instituto Internacional de la UNESCO para la Educación Superior en América Latina y el Caribe (UNESCO-IESALC). 191–214. Quito, Ecuador: Mariscal Publishers.Google Scholar
- Schlossberg, M. (18 October 2015). No one pays full price anymore—And it’s terrifying companies. Business Insider. Businessinsider.com.
- Semler, R. (2004). The seven-day weekend. New York: Penguin Group.Google Scholar
- Sen, A. (2009). The idea of justice. Harvard: Balknap Press.Google Scholar
- Stenn, T. (2015). Unlocking the secrets of Quinoa, a comparative study of Andean women quinoa producers. Human Development Capabilities Approach, HDCA conference paper. Georgetown University.Google Scholar
- Thompson, L. (Fall 2010). Climate change: The evidence and our options. Behaviour Analyst, 33(2): 153–170.Google Scholar
- Yee, V. (14 March 2016). Tainted-water worries spread to Vermont Village. New York Times. New York.Google Scholar
- Aguilar, R. G. & Skar, S. A. (2014). Rhythms of the Pachakuti: Indigenous Uprising and State Power in Bolivia. Duke University Press Books.Google Scholar
- circlesofsustainability.org. (2014). About our Approach. Retrieved November 6, 2016.
- James, P. (2015). Urban Sustainability and Theory in Practice. Earthscan from Routledge.Google Scholar
- Spies, G. J., Rhyne, R. H. Jr., Evans, R., Wetzel, K. E., Ragland, D. T., Turney, H. G., Leet, T. L., & Oglesby, J. L. (1995). Monitoring acrylic fiber workers for liver toxicity and exposure to dimethylacetamide. II: Serum clinical chemistry results of dimethylacetamide exposed workers. Journal of Occupational Environmental Medicine, 37(9): 1102–1107.Google Scholar
- CDC. (2015). National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Education and Information Division. Retrieved Nov. 6, 2016 from: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ershdb/emergencyresponsecard_29750038.html.