Heuristic-Guided Verification for Fast Congestion Detection on Wireless Sensor Networks
Petri Net (PN) are widely used to model distributed systems due to its powerful capability of simulating stepwise behaviors of the systems in both sequential or concurrent manners. Furthermore, PN models can be formally verified of their properties using model checking. However, when applied in practical situations, this approach suffers from the infamous problem of state space explosion. In this paper, we suggest a heuristic approach which can potentially reduce the resource consumed by the verification process on a PN-modeled system. We illustrate our idea by an application of congestion detection of Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN), once represented as PN models. The experimental results confirm the improvements gained by our approach.
KeywordsWireless sensor networks Petri nets Heuristic-guided verification
This research is funded by Vietnam National Foundation for Science and Technology Development (NAFOSTED) under grant number 102.01-2015.16.
- 1.Heiner, M., Richter, R., Schwarick, M.: Snoopy: a tool to design and animate/simulate graph-based formalisms. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Simulation Tools and Techniques for Communications, Networks and Systems and Workshops (SimuTools 2008), p. 15 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.André, É., Lembachar, Y., Petrucci, L., Hulin-Hubard, F., Linard, A., Hillah, L., Kordon, F.: Cosyverif: an open source extensible verification environment. In: 18th International Conference on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems (ICECCS 2013), pp. 33–36 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Westergaard, M., Slaats, T.: CPN tools 4: a process modeling tool combining declarative and imperative paradigms. In: 11th International Conference on Business Process Management (BPM 2013), pp. 393–402 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Kozura, V.E., Nepomniaschy, V.A., Novikov, R.M.: Verification of distributed systems modelled by high-level Petri nets. In: 2002 International Conference on Parallel Computing in Electrical Engineering (PARELEC 2002), pp. 61–66 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Wan, C.-Y., Eisenman, S.B., Campbell, A.T.: CODA: congestion detection and avoidance in sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys 2003), pp. 266–279. ACM (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Proth, J.-M., Xie, X.: Petri Nets: A Tool for Design and Management of Manufacturing Systems. Wiley, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 17.Zhang, C., Zhou, M.: A stochastic Petri net-approach to modeling, analysis of ad hoc network. In: Information Technology: Research and Education (ITRE 2003), pp. 152–156. IEEE (2003)Google Scholar