The ICARO Goal Driven Agent Pattern
ICARO is an open source platform for the implementation of multi-agent systems (MAS), which provides architectural patterns for several types of agent models, following well established software engineering principles. This paper describes a pattern of cognitive agent, whose main characteristic is to be goal-driven, and its logic described as a rule based system. This has been used in different real projects and as a tool in a master course on the development of intelligent agent applications. Some of these are used to illustrate its use and explain some of the conclusions derived from these experiences, mostly from a software engineer point of view.
KeywordsMulti-agent systems (MAS) Cognitive agent Goal-driven agent Agent pattern Production systems ICARO
This work has been partially supported by the project “Collaborative development of AAL solutions (ColoSAAL)”, with grant TIN2014-57028-R by the Spanish Ministry for Economy and Competitiveness.
- 1.Garijo, F.J., Bravo, S., Gonzalez, J., Bobadilla, E.: BOGAR_LN: an agent based component framework for developing multi-modal services using natural language. In: Conejo, R., Urretavizcaya, M., Pérez-de-la-Cruz, J.-L. (eds.) CAEPIA 2003. Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence (LNAI), vol. 3040, pp. 207–220. Springer, Heidelberg (2004). doi: 10.1007/978-3-540-25945-9_21 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Gascueña, J., Garijo, F.J., Fernández-Caballero, A., Gleizes, M.P., Machonin, A.: Deliberative control components for eldercare robot team cooperation. J. Intell. Fuzzy Syst. 28(1), 17–28 (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Gascueña, J.M., Navarro, E., Fernández-Sotos, P., Fernández-Caballero, A., Pavón, J.: IDK and ICARO to develop multi-agent systems in support of ambient intelligence. J. Intell. Fuzzy Syst. 28(1), 3–15 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Lacouture, J., Gascueña, J.M., Gleizes, M.P., Glize, P., Garijo, F.J., Fernández-Caballero, A.: ROSACE: agent-based systems for dynamic task allocation in crisis management. In: Demazeau, Y., Müller, J.P., Corchado Rodríguez, J.M., Bajo Pérez, J. (eds.) PAAMS 2012: Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing, vol. 155, pp. 255–259. Springer, Heidelberg (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Georgé, J.P., Gleizes, M.P., Garijo, F.J., Noël, V., Arcangeli, J.P.: Selfadaptive coordination for robot teams accomplishing critical activities. In: Demazeau, Y., Dignum, F., Corchado, J.M., BajoPérez, J. (eds.) PAAMS 2010: Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing, vol. 70, pp. 145–150. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Drools. http://www.drools.org/. Accessed 3 May 2016
- 8.Jess. http://www.jessrules.com. Accessed 3 May 2016
- 9.ILOG JRules. http://www-01.ibm.com/software/integration/business-rule-management/jrules-family/. Accessed 3 May 2016