A Graph-Based Big Data Model for Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks
Wireless multimedia sensor networks are of interest to researchers from different disciplines and many studies have been proposed in a wide variety of application domains, such as military surveillance systems, environmental monitoring, fault monitoring and distributed smart cameras in the last decade. In a wireless sensor network, a large number of sensors can be deployed to monitor target areas and autonomously collect sensor data. This produces a large amount of raw data that needs to be stored, processed, and analyzed.
In this paper, we propose a graph-based big data model for simulating multimedia wireless sensor networks. The big sensor data is stored in a graph database for the purpose of advanced analytics like statistics, data mining, and prediction. A prototype implementation of the proposed model has been developed and a number of experiments have been done for measuring the accuracy and efficiency of our solution. In addition, we present a case study using the military surveillance domain with a number of complex experimental queries by using our prototype. The experimental results show that our proposed multimedia wireless sensor network model is efficient and applicable in large-scale real life applications.
KeywordsSensor Network Sensor Node Wireless Sensor Network Sink Node Level Fusion
This work is supported in part by a research Grant from TÜBİTAK with Grant No. 114R082. We thank to each of the researchers of CEng Multimedia Database Lab. for their very valuable contributions. The first author would also like to thank AYESAŞ for providing financial support.
- 1.Moniruzzaman, A.B., Hossain, S.A.: Nosql database: New era of databases for big data analytics-classification, characteristics and comparison. arXiv preprint arXiv:1307.0191 (2013)
- 2.Chad, V., Macias, M., Zhao, Z., Nan, X., Chen, Y., Wilkins, D.: A comparison of a graph database, a relational database: a data provenance perspective. In: Proceedings of the 48th Annual Southeast Regional Conference, p. 42. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Ho, L-Y., Wu, J.-J., Liu, P.: Distributed graph database for large-scale social computing. In: 2012 IEEE 5th International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD), pp. 455–462. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Zaslavsky, A., Perera, C., Georgakopoulos, D.: Sensing as a service, big data, arXiv preprint arXiv:1301.0159 (2013)
- 7.Hadim, S., Nader, M.: Middleware: Middleware challenges and approaches for wireless sensor networks. IEEE Distrib. Syst. Online 3, (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Li, Y., Wu, C., Guo, L., Lee, C.-H., Guo, Y.: Wiki-health: a big data platform for health. In: Cloud Computing Applications for Quality Health Care Delivery, p. 59 (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Manjeshwar, A., Agrawal, D.P.: APTEEN: a hybrid protocol for efficient routing and comprehensive information retrieval in wireless sensor networks. In: International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, vol. 2. IEEE Computer Society (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Hu, C., Liu, Y., Chen, L.: Semantic link network based model for organizing multimedia big data. IEEE Trans. Emerg. Topics Comput., 1 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Korpeoglu, B., Yazici, A., Korpeoglu, I., George, R.: A new approach for information processing in wireless sensor network. In: Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Data Engineering Workshops, pp. 34–34. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Zhang, P., Yan, Z., Sun, H.: A novel architecture based on cloud computing for wireless sensor network. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computer Science and Electronics Engineering (ICCSEE 2013), pp. 472–475 (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Jing, H., Haihong, E., Le, G., Du, J.: Survey on NoSQL database. In: 2011 6th International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Applications (ICPCA), pp. 363–366. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 20.Stoianov, I., Nachman, L., Madden, S., Tokmouline, T.: PIPENET: a wireless sensor network for pipeline monitoring. In: 2007 6th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, pp. 264–273. IEEE (2007)Google Scholar
- 21.Felemban, E.: Advanced border intrusion detection and surveillance using wireless sensor network technology. Int. J. Commun. Netw. Syst. Sci. 6(5), 251 (2013)Google Scholar