Sex Trafficked and Missed
A survivor case study demonstrates how health care professionals miss opportunities to identify and respond to persons who may be trafficked. This oversight occurs because medical professionals and health care systems often lack the education and tools needed for an appropriate and effective response. All staff in a health care system should receive basic education on sex and labor trafficking, including legal definitions, descriptions of vulnerable populations, red flags in the health care setting, and survivor stories to facilitate understanding of trafficked persons’ perspectives and vulnerabilities. Extended education should address trauma-informed care as well as potential ways to engage patients and internal protocols. Curriculum modules developed at Dignity Health, one of the nation’s largest health systems, serve as examples of education for medical staff.
KeywordsPatient-centered care Trauma-informed care Victim-centered care Survivor stories Pimp Human trafficking Sex trafficking Health care Mental health Psychiatry Emergency medicine Gynecology Holly Smith Wendy Barnes Medical professionals
- 1.Lederer L, Wetzel CA. The health consequences of sex trafficking and their implications for identifying victims in healthcare facilities. Ann Health Law. 2014;23:61.Google Scholar
- 2.United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime—UNODC. Human trafficking FAQs. http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/human-trafficking/faqs.html#Which_countries_are_affected_by_human_trafficking (2016). Accessed 25 Apr 2016.
- 3.US Department of State. Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act. H.R.3244, §103(8) and (9). http://www.state.gov/j/tip/laws/61124.htm (2000). Accessed 25 Apr 2016.
- 4.National Human Trafficking Resource Center—NHTRC. The victims. https://traffickingresourcecenter.org/what-human-trafficking/human-trafficking/victims (and incorporated links) (2016). Accessed 25 Apr 2016.
- 5.US Department of Homeland Security Office of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Human smuggling. https://www.ice.gov/human-smuggling (2016). Accessed 25 Apr 2016.
- 6.NHTRC. Hotline statistics. https://traffickingresourcecenter.org/states (2016). Accessed 25 Apr 2016.
- 7.Austin W, Boyd MA. Psychiatric and mental health nursing for Canadian practice. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2010.Google Scholar
- 8.Breakey S, Corless IB, Meedzan NL, Nicholas PK, editors. Global health nursing in the 21st century. New York: Springer; 2015.Google Scholar
- 9.Barnes Wendy J. And life continues: sex trafficking and my journey to freedom. Self-published; printed by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform; 2015.Google Scholar
- 10.US Department of Justice Office of Justice Programs Office for Victims of Crime Training and Technical Assistance Center (OVCTTAC). Human trafficking task force e-guide: victim-centered approach. https://www.ovcttac.gov/taskforceguide/eguide/1-understanding-human-trafficking/13-victim-centered-approach (2016). Accessed 25 Apr 2016.
- 11.Clawson HJ, Salomon A, Grace LG. Treating the hidden wounds: trauma treatment and mental health recovery for victims of human trafficking. Washington, DC: Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation; 2007.Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.