A Comparative Study of Image Enhancement Methods in Tree-Ring Analysis
In this paper the problem of semiautomatic tree-ring detection in scanned images of European larch wood sample is considered. In particular, the attention is paid to find image enhancement approach which increases the number of tree rings detected in the wood image by the CooRecorder software. The results provided by different preprocessing methods (including thresholding, contrast enhancement and various spatial filters) are assessed by means of the number of the detected tree rings. Discussion and interpretation of the results are also provided.
KeywordsEdge detection Segmentation Image processing Preprocessing Tree-ring analysis European larch
This work was co-financed by the Lodz University of Technology, Faculty of Electrical, Electronic, Computer and Control Engineering as a part of statutory project no 501/12-24-2-5416.
This work was co-financed by the AGH - University of Science and Technology, Faculty of Geology, Geophysics and Environmental Protection as a part of statutory projects no. 188.8.131.52, no. 184.108.40.2063 and no. 220.127.116.116.
- 3.Habrat, K., Habrat, M., Gronkowska-Serafin, J., Piórkowski, A.: Cell detection in corneal endothelial images using directional filters. In: Choraś, R.S. (ed.) Image Processing and Communications Challenges 7. AISC, vol. 389, pp. 113–123. Springer, Heidelberg (2016). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-23814-2_14 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Laggoune, H., Guesdon, V., et al.: Tree ring analysis. In: Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, pp. 1574–1577. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Piórkowski, A.: A statistical dominance algorithm for edge detection and segmentation of medical images. In: Piętka, E., Badura, P., Kawa, J., Wieclawek, W. (eds.) Information Technologies in Medicine. AISC, vol. 471, pp. 3–14. Springer, Heidelberg (2016). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-39796-2_1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Sundari, P.M., Kumar, S.B.R.: A study of image processing in analyzing tree ring structure. Int. J. Res. Humanit. Arts Lit. 2(3), 13–18 (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Tadeusiewicz, R., Korohoda, P.: Computer Analysis and Image Processing. Progress of Telecommunication Foundation Publishing House, Krakow (1997)Google Scholar
- 12.Zuiderveld, K.: Contrast limited adaptive histogram equalization. In: Heckbert, P.S. (ed.) Graphics Gems IV. Academic Press, Boston (1994)Google Scholar