Runtime Analysis with R2U2: A Tool Exhibition Report
We present R2U2 (Realizable, Responsive, Unobtrusive Unit), a hardware-supported tool and framework for the continuous monitoring of safety-critical and embedded cyber-physical systems. With the widespread advent of autonomous systems such as Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS), satellites, rovers, and cars, real-time, on-board decision making requires unobtrusive monitoring of properties for safety, performance, security, and system health. R2U2 models combine past-time and future-time Metric Temporal Logic, “mission time” Linear Temporal Logic, probabilistic reasoning with Bayesian Networks, and model-based prognostics.
The R2U2 monitoring engine can be instantiated as a hardware solution, running on an FPGA, or as a software component. The FPGA realization enables R2U2 to monitor complex cyber-physical systems without any overhead or instrumentation of the flight software. In this tool exhibition report, we present R2U2 and demonstrate applications on system runtime monitoring, diagnostics, software health management, and security monitoring for a UAS. Our tool demonstration uses a hardware-based processor-in-the-loop “iron-bird” configuration.
The development of R2U2 was in part supported by NASA ARMD grant NNX14AN61A, ARMD 2014 I3AMT Seedling Phase I NNX12AK33A, and NRA NNX08AY50A.
- 1.Adapteva: The Parallella System (2016). http://adapteva.com
- 2.Automated Reasoning Group, UCLA: SamIam Sensitivity Analysis, Modeling, Inference and More (SamIam) (2016). http://reasoning.cs.ucla.edu/samiam/
- 4.Geist, J., Rozier, K.Y., Schumann, J.: Runtime observer pairs and Bayesian network reasoners on-board FPGAs: flight-certifiable system health management for embedded systems. In: Bonakdarpour, B., Smolka, S.A. (eds.) RV 2014. LNCS, vol. 8734, pp. 215–230. Springer, Heidelberg (2014). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-11164-3_18 Google Scholar
- 6.Reinbacher, T., Rozier, K.Y., Schumann, J.: Temporal-logic based runtime observer pairs for system health management of real-time systems. In: Ábrahám, E., Havelund, K. (eds.) TACAS 2014 (ETAPS). LNCS, vol. 8413, pp. 357–372. Springer, Heidelberg (2014). doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-54862-8_24 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Schumann, J., Moosbrugger, P., Rozier, K.Y.: Runtime Analysis with R2U2: A Tool Exhibition Report (Tool Demonstration Website) (2016). http://temporallogic.org/research/RV16/
- 9.Schumann, J., Roychoudhury, I., Kulkarni, C.: Diagnostic reasoning using prognostic information for unmanned aerial systems. In: Proceedings of PHM 2015 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Schumann, J., Rozier, K.Y., Reinbacher, T., Mengshoel, O.J., Mbaya, T., Ippolito, C.: Towards real-time, on-board, hardware-supported sensor and software health management for unmanned aerial systems. In: Proceedings of PHM 2013, pp. 381–401 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Schumann, J., Rozier, K.Y., Reinbacher, T., Mengshoel, O.J., Mbaya, T., Ippolito, C.: Towards real-time, on-board, hardware-supported sensor and software health management for unmanned aerial systems. Int. J. Prognostics Health Manage. (IJPHM) 6(1), 1–27 (2015)Google Scholar