XD-Bike: A Cross-Device Repository of Mountain Biking Routes
Despite the high level of interest in cross-device interaction, only few fully functional example applications exist. With XD-Bike, we built one of our own to not only showcase the use of our cross-device framework but also gather insights into the development process. XD-Bike is an application for mountain bikers that is built with web technologies and adapts to the set of devices at hand. The user interface is distributed across all available devices taking into account the space requirements of the UI elements, their importance, and the available space on devices. While using the cross-device framework eased the development process, we found the testing and debugging challenging due to the distributed nature of the application and the large set of possible device combinations.
KeywordsDistributed user interface Cross-device Liquid applications Web
This project was supported by grant No. 150189 of the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF). We would like to thank Dhivyabharathi Ramasamy, Alexander Richter, and Marko Zivkovic for their contributions to this project.
- 2.Yang, J., Wigdor, D.: Panelrama: enabling easy specification of cross-device web applications. In: Proceedings of the CHI (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Badam, S.K., Elmqvist, N.: PolyChrome: a cross-device framework for collaborative web visualization. In: Proceedings of the ITS (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Nebeling, M., Mintsi, T., Husmann, M., Norrie, M.C.: Interactive development of cross-device user interfaces. In: Proceedings of the CHI (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Husmann, M., Nebeling, M., Pongelli, S., Norrie, M.C.: MultiMasher: providing architectural support and visual tools for multi-device mashups. In: Benatallah, B., Bestavros, A., Manolopoulos, Y., Vakali, A., Zhang, Y. (eds.) WISE 2014, Part II. LNCS, vol. 8787, pp. 199–214. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Krasner, G.E., Pope, S.T.: A cookbook for using the model-view controller user interface paradigm in Smalltalk-80. J. Object Oriented Program 1(3), 26–49 (1988)Google Scholar
- 8.Husmann, M., Heyder, N., Norrie, M.C.: Is a framework enough? Cross-device testing and debugging. In: Proceedings of the EICS (2016)Google Scholar