Overlapping Community Structure Detection of Brain Functional Network Using Non-negative Matrix Factorization
Community structure, as a main feature of a complex network, has been investigated recently under the assumption that the identified communities are non-overlapping. However, few studies have revealed the overlapping community structure of the brain functional network, despite the fact that communities of most real networks overlap. In this paper, we propose a novel framework to identify the overlapping community structure of the brain functional network by using the symmetric non-negative matrix factorization (SNMF), in which we develop a non-negative adaptive sparse representation (NASR) to produce an association matrix. Experimental results on fMRI data sets show that, compared with modularity optimization, normalized cuts and affinity propagation, SNMF identifies the community structure more accurately and can shed new light on the understanding of brain functional systems.
KeywordsOverlapping community Non-negative matrix factorization (nmf) Brain functional network fMRI
This work was supported in part by the National Basic Research Program of China under Grant 2015CB351704, the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant 61375118, and the Research Foundation for Young Teachers in Anhui University of Technology under Grant QZ201516.
- 6.Li, X., Wang, H.: Identification of functional networks in resting state fMRI data using adaptive sparse representation and affinity propagation clustering. Front. Neurosci. 9, 383 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Lu, C., Feng, J., Lin, Z., Yan, S.: Correlation adaptive subspace segmentation by trace LASSO. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 1345–1352 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Grave, E., Obozinski, G.R., Bach, F.R.: Trace lasso: a trace norm regularization for correlated designs. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, pp. 2187–2195 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Yan, C., Zang, Y.: DPARSF: a MATLAB toolbox for pipeline data analysis of resting-state fMRI. Front. Syst. Neurosci. 4, 13 (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Yang, J., Leskovec, J.: Overlapping community detection at scale: a nonnegative matrix factorization approach. In: Proceedings of the 6th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining, pp. 587–596. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.McDaid, A.F., Greene, D., Hurley, N.: Normalized mutual information to evaluate overlapping community finding algorithms (2011)Google Scholar