Person Authentication Using Finger Snapping — A New Biometric Trait
- 2.4k Downloads
This paper presents a new biometric trait, finger snapping, which can be applied for person authentication. We extract a set of features from finger snapping traces according to time and frequency domain analysis. A prototype is developed on Android smartphones to realize authentication for users. We collect 6160 snapping traces from 22 subjects for continuous 7 days and 324 traces from 54 volunteers across three weeks. Extensive experiments confirm the measurability, permanence, uniqueness, circumvention, universality and acceptability of the finger snapping to realize biometrics based authentication. It shows that the system achieves \(6.1\,\%\) average False Rejection Rate (FRR) and \(5.9\,\%\) average False Acceptance Rate (FAR).
KeywordsFinger snapping Biometric trait DTW Smart device
We show thanks to the volunteers who participated in the process of finger snapping collection. This research is partially supported by the National Science Foundation of China (NSFC) under Grant Number 61379128 and 61379127.
- 2.“Wikipedia” “Finger snapping”. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Finger_snapping&oldid=691142888
- 7.Yu, G., Li, C.-T.: A robust speed-invariant gait recognition system for walker and runner identification. In: 2013 International Conference on Biometrics (ICB) (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Shannon, R.V., and Zeng, F.-G., Kamath, V., Wygonski, J., Ekelid, M.: Speech recognition with primarily temporal cues. In: American Association for the Advancement of Science (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Hong, F., Wei, M., You, S., Feng, Y., Guo, Z.: Waving authentication: your smartphone authenticate you on motion gesture. In: Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Nadeu, C., Macho, D., Hernando, J.: Time and frequency filtering of filter-bank energies for robust HMM speech recognition. In: Speech Communication. Elsevier (2001)Google Scholar