A Portable Active Pelvis Orthosis for Ambulatory Movement Assistance
Aging of population and increased incidence of gait impairments are dominant trends undermining social welfare and healthcare system. Lower-limb wearable robots proved to be a viable solution for recovering mobility of people affected by gait disorders. This work presents the design of the mechatronic architecture of a fully self-contained active pelvis orthosis (APO) for assisting hip flexion/extension movements during daily living activities. The APO could act compliantly with the human biomechanics thanks to series-elastic actuation and to a novel kinematics chain endowed with passive degrees of freedom. The portability and autonomy of the control system have opened the horizon to explore different assistive tasks in out-of-lab scenarios.
KeywordsKinematic Chain Interaction Torque Linear Guide Harmonic Drive Actuation Unit
- 3.Tucker, M.R., Olivier, J., Pagel, A., Bleuler, H., Bouri, M., Lambercy, O.: Control strategies for active lower extremity prosthetics and orthotics: a review control strategies for active lower extremity prosthetics and orthotics: a review. J. NeuroEng. Rehabil. 12 (1) (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Jang, J., Kim, K., Lee, J., Lim, B., Shim, Y.: Online gait task recognition algorithm for hip exoskeleton. In: IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 5327–5332, Hamburg (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Giovacchini, F., Vannetti, F., Fantozzi, M., Cempini, M., Cortese, M., Parri, A., Yan, T., Lefeber, D., Vitiello, N.: A light-weight active orthosis for hip movement assistance. Robot. Auton. Syst. September 2014Google Scholar
- 6.Pratt, G.A., Williamson, M.M.: Series elastic actuators. In: Proceedings 1995 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems. Human Robot Interaction and Cooperative Robots, vol. 1, pp. 399–406 (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Vitiello, N., Giovacchini, F., Cempini, M., Fantozzi, M., Moisè, M., Muscolo, M., Cortese, M.: Sistema di attuazione per ortesi di anca. Application No. FI2015A000025 (Italian Patent), Application Date: 9 February 2015. Pending for acceptanceGoogle Scholar