The Social Process of Integration and Tolerance
- 201 Downloads
The chapter deals with the regulation of dystopia and utopia, exclusion regimes and postnationalism. The freedom of religious practice and the troubled history of building a mosque in Athens provide the setting for the examination of the concept and process of integration and tolerance.
KeywordsTolerance Integration Religion Islam Mosques Multiculturalism
- Al Jazzera. 2013. Protest Held Against Athens Mosque Plan. Al Jazzera, 27 May. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2013/05/2013526234115105760.html. Accessed 28 March 2015.
- Allievi, Stefano. 2009. Conflicts Over Mosques: Policy Issues and Trends. London: Alliance Publishing Trust.Google Scholar
- Autodioikisi. 2013. All Clear for the Mosque in Athens. http://www.aftodioikisi.gr/ipourgeia/anoixe-o-dromos-gia-to-tzami-stin-athina. Accessed 28 March 2015.
- Balibar, Étienne. 2004. We, the People of Europe? Reflections on Transnational Citizenship. Translated from the French by James Swenson. Princeton and Oxford: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Boswell Christina. 2003. European Migration Policies in Flux: Changing Patterns of Inclusion and Exclusion. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Brown, Wendy. 2008. Regulating Aversion: Tolerance in the Age of Identity and Empire. New Jersey: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Brubaker, Rogers, W. 1989. Immigration and the Politics of Citizenship in Europe and North America. Washington, DC: University of America Press.Google Scholar
- Brubaker, Rogers, W. 1992. Citizenship and Nationhood in France and Germany. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Castles, Stephen, and Mark J. Miller. 2003. The Age of Migration: International Population Movements in the Modern World. London: Palgrave McMillan.Google Scholar
- Dean, Mitchell. 1999. Governmentality: Power and Rule in Modern Society. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Ethnos. 2013. No Mosque in Athens—The Main Demand of Golden Dawn protestors. Ethnos, 14 December. http://www.ethnos.gr/article.asp?catid=22768&subid=2&pubid=63934084. Accessed 28 March 2015.
- European Council (Tampere). 1999. Presidency Conclusions 15 and 16 October 1999. European Parliament. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/summits/tam_en.htm. Accessed 28 March 2015.
- Feldblum, Miriam. 1999. Reconstructing Citizenship: The Politics of Nationality Reform and Immigration in Contemporary France. Albany: SUNY Press.Google Scholar
- Forst, Rainer. 2012. Two Stories About Toleration. In Law, State and Religion in the New Europe, ed. Lorenzo Zucca and Camil Ungreanu. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Foucault, Michel. 2008. The Birth of Biopolitics: Lectures at the Collége de France, 1978–1979. Translated from the French by Graham Burchell. Basingstoke: Palgrave McMillan.Google Scholar
- Freeman, Gary. 2008. Immigrant Incorporation in Western Democracies. In Rethinking Migration: New Theoretical and Empirical Perspectives, ed. Alejandro Portes and DeWind Josh. New York: Berghahn.Google Scholar
- Hekimoglou, Achilleas. 2014. Political Games with the Mosque in Elaionas. To Vima, 13 April. http://www.tovima.gr/society/article/?aid=586155. Accessed 28 March 2015.
- Huntington, Samuel. 2002. The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order. London: Simon and Schuster.Google Scholar
- Kant, Immanuel. 1784/1991. An Answer to the Question: What Is Enlightenment?. Translated from the German by H.B Nisbet. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Lock, John. 1689. A Letter Concerning Toleration. In John Lock: A Letter Concerning Toleration in Focus, ed. John Horton and Susan Mendus. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Lowen, Mark. 2012. Athens-the EU Capital City Without a Mosque. BBC, 28 December. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20820349. Accessed 28 March.
- Marcuse, Herbert. 1965. Repressive Tolerance. In A Critique of Pure Tolerance, ed. Paul Wolf Robert and Barrington Jr. Moore. Boston: Beacon Press.Google Scholar
- Migration Policy Index. 2010. Greece: December 2008–June 2010. http://www.mipex.eu/greece. Accessed 28 March 2015.
- Miles, Robert. 1993. Racism after Race Relations. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Modood, Tariq. 2000. Anti-Essentialism, Multiculturalism and the “Recognition” of Religious Groups. In Citizenship in Diverse Societies, ed. Will Kymlica and Norman Wayne. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Nye, Catrin. 2015. Why Is the Populist Right on the Rise in Germany? Social Europe, 5 March. http://www.socialeurope.eu/2015/03/pegida/. Accessed 28 March 2015.
- PEGIDA. 2014. PEGIDA Position Paper. http://www.menschen-in-dresden.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/pegida-positionspapier.pdf. Accessed 28 March 2015.
- Penninx, Rinus. 2006. Integration Processes of Migrants: Research Findings and Policy Lessons. In Europe and Its Immigrants in the 21st Century: A New Deal or a Continuing Dialogue of the Deaf?, ed. Demetrios G. Papademetriou. Washington, DC: Migration Policy Institute.Google Scholar
- Sayad, Abdelmalek. 2007. The Suffering of the Immigrant. Cambridge: Polity.Google Scholar
- Smith, Helena, 2003. Villagers Try to Block Athens Mosque Plan. The Guardian, 16 September. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/sep/16/religion.uk. Accessed 28 March 2015.
- Spencer, Sarah. 2006. The Challenge of Integration in Europe. In Europe and Its Immigrants in the 21st Century: A New Deal or a Continuing Dialogue of the Deaf?, ed. Demetrios, G. Papademetriou. Washington, DC: Migration Policy Institute.Google Scholar
- The Telegraph. 2011. Nicolas Sarkozy Declares Multiculturalism Has Failed. The Telegraph, 11 February. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8317497/Nicolas-Sarkozy-declares-multiculturalism-had-failed.html. Accessed 28 March 2015.
- Traynor, Ian. 2009. Swiss Vote to Ban Construction of Minarets on Mosques. The Guardian, 29 November. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/nov/29/switzerland-bans-mosque-minarets. Accessed 28 March 2015.
- Tsiakalos, Georgios. 2007. Greece: Xenophobia of the Weak and Racism of the Mighty. In The Globalisation of Racism, ed. Donaldo Macedo and Panayota Gounari. London: Paradigm.Google Scholar
- Walzer, Michael. 1997. On Toleration. New Haven and London: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Walzer, Michael. 2004. Politics and Passion: Towards a More Egalitarian Liberalism. New Haven and London: Yale University Press.Google Scholar