European Unification and Exclusion Regimes
- 204 Downloads
The chapter deploys the concepts of utopia and dystopia in order to provide a critical narrative of European unification. Here, the binary opposition between Europhiles and Euro-sceptics is deemed inadequate for encapsulating immigration into the current debates on the European Union (EU).
KeywordsDublin regulation EU integration Europia Postnationalism Euro-sceptics and Europhiles Utopia
- Arendt, Hannah. 1976. The Origins of Totalitarianism. Cleveland and New York: Meridian.Google Scholar
- Balibar, Étienne. 2011. Politics and the Other Scene. Translated from the French by Christine Jones, James Swenson, Chris Turner. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Beck, Ulrich. 2013. German Europe. Translated from the German by Rodney Livingstone. Cambridge: Polity.Google Scholar
- Bloch, Ernst. 1995. The Principle of Hope Vol.2. Translated from the German by Neville Plaice, Stephen Plaice and Paul Knight. USA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Bloch, Ernst. 2000. The Spirit of Utopia. Translated from the German by Anthony A. Nassar. New Jersey: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Brown, Wendy. 2012. Walled States, Waning Sovereignty. Brooklyn, NY: Zone Books.Google Scholar
- Council Regulation (EC) 604/2013 of 26 June 2013 on Establishing the Criteria and Mechanisms for Determining the Member State Responsible for Examining an Application for International Protection Lodged in One of the Member States by a Third-Country National or a Stateless Person (Recast).Google Scholar
- Davis, Laurence. 2001. Isaiah, Berlin, William Morris and the Politics of Utopia. In The Philosophy of Utopia, ed. Barbara Goodwin. Oxon and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- DeLanda, Manuel. 2006. A New Philosophy of Society. London and New York: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, Glles, and Felix Guattari. 1988. A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia. Translated from the French by Brian Massumi. London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- European Commission a. The Treaty of Rome. 25 March 1957. European Commission Archives.Google Scholar
- Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. 2015. Accelerated Asylum Procedure for Refugees from Syria, Eritrea and Iraq. http://www.bamf.de/EN/Migration/AsylFluechtlinge/Asylverfahren/BesondereVerfahren/SyrienIrakEritrea/syrien-irak-eritrea.html. Accessed 3 September 2015.
- Harvey, David. 2000. Spaces of Hope. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- Hayter, Teresa. 2004. The Case Against Immigration Controls. London: Pluto Press.Google Scholar
- Hix, Simon, and Bjørn Høyland. 2005. The Political System of the European Union. Basingstoke: Palgrave.Google Scholar
- Huysmans, Jef. 2006. The Politics of Insecurity: Fear, Migration and Asylum in the UK. Oxon and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Jacoby, Russell. 2000. The End of Utopia: Politics and Culture in an Age of Apathy. USA: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Mair, Peter. 2005. Popular Democracy and the European Union Polity. European Governance Papers (EUROGOV) No.C-05-03. http://edoc.vifapol.de/opus/volltexte/2011/2455/pdf/egp_connex_C_05_03.pdf. Accessed 22 March 2015.
- Mair, Peter. 2013. Ruling the Void: The Hollowing-Out of Western Democracy. London and New York: Verso.Google Scholar
- Ngalikimpa, Matiada and Hennessy, Maria. 2013. Dublin II Regulation: Lives on Hold (European Comparative Report). Available at: http://www.ecre.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/ECRE-Hungarian-Helsinki-Committee-Forum-Refugies-Dublin-II-Regilation_-Lives-on-hold-European-Comparative-report_February-2013.pdf Accessed 20 September 2016.
- Popper, Karl. 1986. Utopia and Violence. World Affairs 149(1): 3–9.Google Scholar
- Szczerbiak, Aleks and Paul Taggart. 2008. Introduction: Researching Euroscepticism in European Party Systems: A Comparative and Theoretical Research Agenda. In Opposing Europe? The Comparative Party Politics of Euroscepticism, Volume 2, ed. Aleks Szczerbiak and Paul Taggart. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Weber, Max. 2009. Politics as Vacation. In From Max Weber: Essays in Sociology, ed. H. H. Gerth and Wright C. Mills. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Wegner, Philip, E. 2002. Imaginary Communities: Utopia, the Nation and the Spatial History of Modernity. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Wieviorka, Michel. 2012. Evil. Translated from the French by Kristin Couper-Lobel. Cambridge: Polity.Google Scholar
- UNHCR. 2009. Observations on Greece as a Country of Asylum. Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. Available at: http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/search?page=search&docid=4b4c7c329&query=Greece. Accessed 20 September 2016.