- 200 Downloads
The book coheres around a series of case studies and theoretical debates. Immigration and the presence of migrants and refugees appear in this book, both as an objective medium through which the reorganisation of the European Union (EU) and Greece can be observed and analysed and as a conceptual tool for the purpose of contesting political narratives, ideological perceptions of otherness and illegality.
KeywordsImmigration EU Greece Hope Fear Populism Methodological nationalism
- Agence France-Presse. 2015. Juncker Urges EU Members to Resist “populist” Rejection of Migrants. Agence France-Press, 5 August. http://www.afp.com/en/news/juncker-urges-eu-members-resist-populist-rejection-migrants. Accessed 11 August 2015.
- BBC News. 2014. Eurosceptic “earthquake” Rocks EU Elections. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27559714. Accessed 22 March 2015.
- Castles, Stephen, and Mark J. Miller. 2003. The Age of Migration: International Population Movements in the Modern World. London: Palgrave McMillan.Google Scholar
- Chakellian, Annosh. 2015. What You Need to Know About the EU Refuge Quota Plan. New Statesman, 23 September. http://www.newstatesman.com/world/europe/2015/09/what-you-need-know-about-eu-refugee-quota-plan. Accessed 17 March 2016.
- Clark, Bruce. 2007. Twice a Stranger: How Mass Expulsion Forged Modern Greece and Turkey. London: Granta Books.Google Scholar
- European Commission. 2015b. Managing the Refugee Crisis: Immediate Operational, Budgetary and Legal Measures Under the European Agenda on Migration.Google Scholar
- European Parliament. 2014. Results of the 2014 European Elections. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/elections2014-results/en/election-results-2014.html. Accessed 22 March 2015.
- Georgoulas, Stratos. 2001. The New Immigration Social Policy in Greece and Its Legalization. In Immigrants in Greece, ed. A. Marvakis, Parsanoglou D., and M. Pavlou. Athens: Ellinika Grammata.Google Scholar
- Kingsley, Patrick. 2015a. 19 Feared Dead After People Smuggler’s Boat Capsizes Off Greek Islands. The Guardian, 7 July. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/07/18-feared-dead-people-smugglers-boat-capsizes-greek-islands. Accessed 11 August 2015.
- Lukács, Giörgy. 1967. History and Class Consciousness: Studies in Marxist Dialectics. Trans. by Rodney Livingstone. Great Britain: The Merlin Press.Google Scholar
- Marx, Karl. 1904. A Contribution to the Critique of Political Economy. Translated from the German by N.I. Stone. Chicago: Charles H. Kerr and Company.Google Scholar
- McDonald-Gibson, Charlotte, and John Lichfield. 2014. European Elections Results: Far-Right Parties Flourish Across Europe. The Independent, 25 May. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/european-election-results-2014-farright-parties-flourish-across-europe-in-snub-to-austerity-9434069.html. Accessed 22 March 2015.
- Pantaleone, Wladimir. 2015. More Than 200 Feared Dead in Sinking of Migrant Boat. http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/06/us-europe-migrants-italy-idUSKCN0QB0SR20150806. Accessed 11 August 2015.
- Petrakou, Electra, B. 2001. The Construction of Immigration in Greece. In Immigrants in Greece, ed. A. Marvakis, D. Parsanoglou, and M. Pavlou. Athens: Ellinika Grammata.Google Scholar
- The Economist. 2015. Learning from the Jungle. The Economist, 8 August. http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21660581-camp-channels-edge-sideshow-europes-migrant-crisis-it-offers-important?fsrc=scn/tw/te/pe/ed/learningfromthejungle. Accessed 11 August 2015.