RCOS: Real Time Context Sharing Across a Fleet of Smart Mobile Devices
Sharing context is a key challenge and will be a requirement of future IoT systems and services. To this end, in this paper, we propose, develop, implement and validate a Real Time Context Sharing (RCOS) system. RCOS takes advantage of the widely used publish/subscribe paradigm embedding context-awareness. We also propose a new context-aware subscription language enabling publishers to express data with sufficient contextual information and subscribers to subscribe to data by matching publisher context to subscribers contextual preferences. Finally, as a proof of concept, we extend the Apache ActiveMQ Artemis software and create a client prototype. We evaluate our proof of concept for larger scale deployment.
KeywordsContext aware publish/subscribe Context sharing Semantic web
Authors acknowledge the support from EMM PERCCOM, IoT EPI bIoTope Project, which is co-funded by the European Commission under H2020-ICT-2015 program, Grant Agreement 688203. The research has also been carried out with the financial support from the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation under grant agreement RFMEFI58716X0031. Julien Dhallenne would also like to thank Prof. Ahmed Seffah, Susanna Koponen, Prof. Jari Porras and Prof. Éric Rondeau for their support.
- 6.Buchmann, A.P., Moody, K.: An active functionality service for open distributed heterogeneous environments. Shaker (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Sporny, M., Longley, D., Kellogg, G., Lanthaler, M., Lindstrm, N.: JSON-LD 1.0, W3C Recommendation (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Loke, S.W., Padovitz, A., Zaslavsky, A.: Context-based addressing: the concept and an implementation for large-scale mobile agent systems using publish-subscribe event notification. In: Stefani, J.-B., Demeure, I., Zhang, J. (eds.) DAIS 2003. LNCS, vol. 2893, pp. 274–284. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Loke, S.W., Zaslavsky, A.: Communicative acts of Elvin-enhanced mobile agents. In: IEEE/WIC International Conference on Intelligent Agent Technology, pp. 446–449. IEEE (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Cugola, G., Margara, A., Migliavacca, M.: Context-aware publish-subscribe: model, implementation, and evaluation. In: IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications, pp. 875–881. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Zahariadis, T., Papadakis, A., Alvarez, F., Gonzalez, J., Lopez, F., Facca, F., Al-Hazmi, Y.: FIWARE lab: managing resources and services in a cloud federation supporting future internet applications. In: IEEE/ACM 7th International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC), pp. 792–799. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Campailla, A., Chaki, S., Clarke, E., Jha, S., Veith, H.: Efficient filtering in publish-subscribe systems using binary decision diagrams. In: Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Software Engineering, pp. 443–452. IEEE Computer Society (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Barker, P., Campbell, L.M.: What is schema.org? LRMI, vol. 21 (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.Object Management Group: The Common Object Request Broker (CORBA): Architecture and Specification. Object Management Group (1995)Google Scholar
- 20.Prud’ Hommeaux, E., Seaborne, A.: SPARQL query language for RDF. W3C Recommendation 15 (2008)Google Scholar