Optimization of Selection Strategies for P2P Streaming Network Based on Daily Users’ Behavior and Users’ Distribution over Time Zones
In this paper, an optimization problem of selection strategies for peer-to-peer (P2P) live streaming network is discussed. To solve the problem, the simulation model of P2P live streaming network is developed. The model considers daily peers behavior, their distribution over time zones, collisions, time lags between the server and a peer, lags between peers, and three types of selection strategies: neighbor selection strategy, peer selection strategy, and chunk selection strategy. Daily peers’ behavior is defined as the distribution of the number of online users by the time of day. Initial data for the peers distribution over time zones and their daily behavior are taken from the known Internet sources. The aim of the research is to find an appropriate solution of the proposed optimization problem and to show how the choice of a certain set of selection strategies affects the key characteristics of P2P streaming networks. The results of the conducted numerical analysis show the increase of the network performance up to 16,25 %.
KeywordsPeer-to-peer P2P Live streaming network Playback continuity Daily users’ behavior Users’ distribution over time zones Optimization problem Selection strategy
The reported study was partially supported by the RFBR, research project No. 14-07-00090. The authors gratefully thank Prof. Konstantin Samouylov for initiating this research and very valuable advice on research design.
- 1.Zhao, Y., Shen, H.: A simple analysis on P2P streaming with peer playback lags. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Communication Software and Networks, Xian, China, pp. 396–400 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Gu, Y., Zong, N., Ed., Zhang Y., Piccolo F., Duan S.: Survey of P2P streaming applications. In: IETF, pp. 1–22 (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Yue, G., Wei, N., Liu, J., Xiong, X., Xie, L.: Survey on scheduling technologies of P2P media streaming. J. Netw. 6(8), 1129–1136 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Payberah, A.H.: Live streaming in P2P and hybrid P2P-cloud environments for the open internet. Doctoral thesis in Information and Communication Technology Stockholm, Sweden, pp. 1–119 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, X., Loguinov, D.: Stochastic models of pull-based data replication in P2P systems. In: 14-th IEEE International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing, pp. 1–10 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Abinaya, R., Ramachandran, G.: Efficient p2p video sharing scheme in online social network. Int. J. Eng. Sci. 3(5), 23–27 (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Li, Z., Kaafar, M.A., Salamatian, K., Xie, G.: User behavior characterization of a large-scale mobile live streaming system. In: International World Wide Web Conference Committee, Italy, pp. 307–313 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Gaidamaka, Y., Vasiliev, I., Samouylov, K., Shorgin, S.: An approach to the modeling of the P2P streaming network based on peers’ geolocation and activity. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Digital Society and eGovernments, Venice, Italy, pp. 13–17 (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Gaidamaka, Y., Samouylov, K., Shorgin, S., Medvedeva, E., Vasiliev, I.: Optimizing performance measures by peer selection strategy in P2P streaming network. In: Proceedings of the 27th European Conference On Operational Research, Glasgow, Great Britain, p. 96 (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.Gaidamaka, Y., Samuylov, A.K., Medvedeva, E.G., Vasiliev, I., Abaev, P.O., Ya, S.S.: Design and software architecture of buffering mechanism for peer-to-peer streaming network simulation. In: Proceedings of the 29th European Conference on Modelling and Simulation, Germany, Digitaldruck Pirrot GmbH, pp. 682–688 (2015)Google Scholar
- 16.Gaidamaka, Y., Vasiliev, I., Samuylov, A., Samouylov, K., Shorgin, S.: Simulation of buffering mechanism for peer-to-peer live streaming network with collisions and playback lags. In: Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Networks, Nice, France, pp. 86–91 (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.Ometov, A., Masek, P., Urama, J., Hosek, J., Andreev, S., Koucheryavy, Y.: Implementing secure network-assisted D2D framework in live 3GPP LTE deployment. In: 2016 IEEE International Conference on Communication Workshops (ICC), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 749–754 (2016)Google Scholar