Early Application Performance at the Hartree Centre with the OpenPOWER Architecture
The Hartree Centre has been established as a UK focus for industrial engagement. STFC has acquired a new IBM system based on the OpenPOWER architecture, comprising 32 nodes with POWER8 CPUs and NVIDIA Kepler K80 GPUs. We report early evaluation of the system using some real applications based on the Lattice Boltzmann Method, Direct Numerical Simulation of Turbulence and using FFTs. No optimisation has been carried out yet, but results are encouraging with performance comparable or better on a per core basis to Intel IvyBridge CPUs. Use of the GPUs for suitable algorithms such as Lattice Boltzmann kernels and for FFTs provides further performance enhancements.
KeywordsDirect Numerical Simulation Discrete Fourier Transform Dissipative Particle Dynamics Lattice Boltzmann Equation Physical Core
Jianping Meng would like to thank the UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council for their support of the grant “Future-proof massively-parallel execution of multi-block applications” (EP/K038451/1 and EP/K038494/1) and the UK Consortium on Mesoscale Engineering Sciences (UKCOMES) under Grant EP/L00030X/1.
- 5.Lee, V.W., Kim, C, Chhugani, J, Deisher, M., Kim, D., Nguyen, A.D., Satish, N., Smelyanskiy, M., Chennupaty, S., Hammarlund, P., Singhal, R., Dubey, P.: Debunking the 100x GPU vs. CPU myth: an evaluation of throughput computing on CPU and GPU. In: Proceedings of the 37th Annual International Symposium on Computer Architecture, ser, ISCA 2010, pp. 451–460. ACM, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Mudalige, G.R., Reguly, I.Z., Giles, M.B., Mallinson, A.C., Gaudin, W.P., Herdman, J.A.: Performance analysis of a high-level abstractions-based hydrocode on future computing systems. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Performance Modeling, Benchmarking and Simulation of High Performance Computing Systems (PMBS 2014) (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.OpenMP Application Program Interface Version 4.0, July 2013. http://www.openmp.org/mp-documents/OpenMP4.0.0.pdf. Accessed 14 Apr 2016
- 11.Seaton, M.A., Smith, W.: DL_MESO User Manual. http://www.scd.stfc.ac.uk/SCD/resources/PDF/USRMAN.pdf. Accessed 14 Apr 2016
- 12.Siso, S., Seaton, M.A., Mason, L.: Code modernization of DL_MESO LBE to achieve good performance on the Intel Xeon Phi. In: Emit Conference Proceedings (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.Tildesley, D.: A strategic vision for UK e-infrastructure: a roadmap for the development and use of advanced computing, data and networks. Report for the Department of Business Innovation and Skills, UK, pp. 1–33, 4 January 2012. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/e-infrastructure-strategy-roadmap-for-development-of-advanced-computing-data-and-networks. Accessed 14 Apr 2016