Cornerstones for a Mediterranean Internationale Citoyenne
This chapter calls for uniting social movements across the Mediterranean and assesses the results of existing attempts of networking. It puts forward the substantial elements of the Mediterranean context that can facilitate the emergence of a project of trans-national engagement, and suggests the infrastructural conditions required for giving speed to a grassroots movement for Mediterranean integration. It includes a review by a group of activists of the setbacks since 2011 and the new challenges for the constitution of a trans-Mediterranean progressive network.
KeywordsTrans-Mediterranean mobilization Progressive political Islam Anti-capitalist movements in the Mediterranean Trans-national activism Conceptualizing Mediterranean citizenship Free and united Mediterranean
- Cassano, Franco. 2011. Southern Thought and Other Essays on the Mediterranean. New York: Fordham University Press.Google Scholar
- Matvejević, Predrag. 2008. The Mediterranean and Europe. Quaderns De La Mediterrània 10, 127–133.Google Scholar
- Milanese, Niccolò. 2013. What Shall Become of Us Without Any Barbarians? Youth Policy in the Euro-Med. Euroalter.com, April.Google Scholar
- Polychroniou, C.J. 2016. Tsipras’ Love Affair with Netanyahu’s Israel Deserves an Explanation. Greek Reporter, 30 January.Google Scholar
- Sadiki, Larbi. 2015. Unruliness Through Space and Time. In Routledge Handbook of the Arab Spring, ed. L. Sadiki. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Shaw Jo, and Igor Štiks. 2013. Citizenship Rights. Farnham: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Tully, James. 2008. Two Meanings of Global Citizenship: Modern and Diverse. In Global Citizenship Education: Philosophy, Theory and Pedagogy, ed. M.A Peters, H. Blee, and A. Britton. Rotterdam: Sense Publications, 15–39.Google Scholar
- The Times of Israel, on 28 January 2016. http://www.timesofisrael.com/in-unprecedented-meet-netanyahu-greek-and-cypriot-leaders-push-gas-pipeline-as-peace-catalyst/.
- Whitehead, Laurence. 2015. On the Arab Spring: Democratization and Related Political Seasons. Routledge Handbook of the Arab Spring, ed. L. Sadiki. New York: Routledge, 17–27.Google Scholar