Fast and Effective Multi-objective Optimisation of Submerged Wave Energy Converters
Despite its considerable potential, wave energy has not yet reached full commercial development. Currently, dozens of wave energy projects are exploring a variety of techniques to produce wave energy efficiently. A common design for a wave energy converter is called a buoy. A buoy typically floats on the surface or just below the surface of the water, and captures energy from the movement of the waves.
In this article, we tackle the multi-objective variant of this problem: we are taking into account the highly complex interactions of the buoys, while optimising the energy yield, the necessary area, and the cable length needed to connect all buoys. We employ caching-techniques and problem-specific variation operators to make this problem computationally feasible. This is the first time the interactions between wave energy resource and array configuration are studied in a multi-objective way.
KeywordsWave energy Multi-objective optimisation Simulation speed-up
This work has been supported by the ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award DE160100850.
- 5.GNU Scientific Library: Version 1.16 (2013). http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/. Accessed 7 Apr 2016
- 6.Hansen, N.: CMA-ES Source Code: Practical Hints. https://www.lri.fr/~hansen/cmaes_inmatlab.html. Accessed 7 Apr 2016
- 9.Lagoun, M., Benalia, A., Benbouzid, M.: Ocean wave converters: state of the art and current status. In: IEEE International Energy Conference, pp. 636–641 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.MATLAB: Version 8.6.0 (R2015b). The MathWorks Inc., Natick (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.OpenMP Architecture Review Board: OpenMP Application Program Interface, Version 3.0, May 2008Google Scholar
- 15.Sergiienko, N.Y., Cazzolato, B.S., Ding, B., Arjomandi, M.: Frequency Domain Model of the Three-Tether WECs Array (2016). https://www.researchgate.net/publication/291972368_Frequency_domain_model_of_the_three-tether_WECs_array. Accessed 7 Apr 2016
- 17.Tran, R., Wu, J., Denison, C., Ackling, T., Wagner, M., Neumann, F.: Fast and effective multi-objective optimisation of wind turbine placement. In: Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, pp. 1381–1388. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 18.Wu, J., Shekh, S., Sergiienko, N., Cazzolato, B., Ding, B., Neumann, F., Wagner, M.: Fast and effective optimisation of arrays of submerged wave energy converters. In: Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (2016). Accepted for publicationGoogle Scholar