Annotated Amharic Corpora
Amharic is one of under-resourced languages. The paper presents two text corpora. The first one is a substantially cleaned version of existing morphologically annotated WIC Corpus (210,000 words). The second one is the largest Amharic text corpus (17 million words). It was created from Web pages automatically crawled in 2013, 2015 and 2016. It is part-of-speech annotated by a tagger trained and evaluated on the WIC Corpus.
KeywordsText Corpus Parallel Corpus Annotate Corpus Final Cleaning Vowel Pair
We would like to thank Dr. Derib Ado Jekale from Department of Linguistics, Addis Ababa University for checking seed bigrams of Amharic words, translating key words of the corpus comparison and answering questions about Amharic.
This work has been partly supported by the Grant Agency of CR within the project 15-13277S. The research leading to these results has received funding from the Norwegian Financial Mechanism 2009–2014 and the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports under Project Contract no. MSMT-28477/2014 within the HaBiT Project 7F14047.
- 1.Demeke, G.A., Getachew, M.: Manual annotation of amharic news items with part-of-speech tags and its challenges. In: Ethiopian Languages Research Center Working Papers 2, pp. 1–16 (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Firdyiwek, Y., Yaqob, D.: The system for Ethiopic representation in ASCII. J. EthioSci. (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Gambäck, B., Olsson, F., Argaw, A.A., Asker, L.: Methods for amharic part-of-speech tagging. In: Proceedings of the First Workshop on Language Technologies for African Languages, pp. 104–111. Association for Computational Linguistics (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Gebre, B.G.: Part of speech tagging for Amharic. Ph.D. thesis, University of Wolverhampton, Wolverhampton (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Kilgarriff, A., Reddy, S., Pomikálek, J., Avinesh, P.: A corpus factory for many languages. In: LREC (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Pomikálek, J.: Removing boilerplate and duplicate content from web corpora. Ph.D. thesis, Masaryk University, Faculty of Informatics (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Scannell, K.P.: The crúbadán project: corpus building for under-resourced languages. In: Building and Exploring Web Corpora: Proceedings of the 3rd Web as Corpus Workshop, vol. 4, pp. 5–15 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Schmid, H.: Treetagger: a language independent part-of-speech tagger. Institut für Maschinelle Sprachverarbeitung, Universität Stuttgart 43, 28 (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Suchomel, V., Pomikálek, J., et al.: Efficient web crawling for large text corpora. In: Proceedings of the Seventh Web as Corpus Workshop (WAC7), pp. 39–43 (2012)Google Scholar