Connecting Business Processes and Sensor Data in Proactive Manufacturing Enterprises
Real time sensor data is used often to monitor and control industrial applications. Such data is used to detect unexpected events and to take timely action to prevent industrial accidents or breakdowns. We introduce the concept of proactive sensing enterprises. The EU ProaSense project explores the use of real time sensor data and historical data to detect the likelihood of undesired events and to take proactive action to avoid undesired events and improve the resilience of the business. In this paper, we describe how enterprise modelling and process models may be used to connect the key performance indicators and business processes to data from sensors on technical components on the shop floor. We describe the benefits of connecting the business processes to sensor data and how modelling could contribute to reducing maintenance costs, improving proactive decision making and resilience in industry. An example from the manufacturing industry will be described.
KeywordsProactive maintenance Enterprise model Real-time sensor data Sensing enterprise Proactive enterprise
The work was conducted in the EU FP7 project ProaSense. The authors wish to thank the project participants and HELLA for sharing their knowledge and example case.
- 1.Iansiti, M., Lakhani, K.R.: Digital Ubiquity: How Connections, Sensors, and Data are Revolutionizing Business. Harvard Business Review, Brighton (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Camarinha-Matos, L., Benaben, F., Picard, W.: Risks and Resilience of Collaborative Networks. 16th IFIP WG 5.5 Working Conference on Virtual Enterprises PRO-VE. Springer, Heidelberg (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.EU Systems. The 4 Basic Maintenance Modes (2014). http://www.uesystems.com/mechanical-inspection/the-4-basic-maintenance-modes. Accessed 25 Apr 2016
- 9.Proasense. Proasence - The Proactive Sensing Enterprise (2012). http://www.proasense.eu/. Accessed 25 Apr 2016
- 10.Boyd, J.R.: The essence of winning and losing, 28 June 1995, a five slide set by Boyd (1995). http://www.danford.net/boyd/essence.htm. Accessed 25 Apr 2016
- 11.Magoutas, B., et al.: Anticipation-driven architecture for proactive enterprise decision making. In: CAiSE-Forum-DC 2014, Thessaloniki, Greece (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Bousdekis, A., Papageorgiou, N., Magoutas, B., Apostolou, D., Mentzas, G.: A real-time architecture for proactive decision making in manufacturing enterprises. In: Ciuciu, I. (ed.) OTM 2015 Workshops. LNCS, vol. 9416, pp. 137–146. Springer, Heidelberg (2015). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-26138-6_17 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Semantic Sensor Network Ontology, 10 June 2011. http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/SSN