Pattern Recognition with Rejection
The motivation of our study is to provide algorithmic appro-aches to distinguish proper patterns, from garbage and erroneous patterns in a pattern recognition problem. The design assumption is to provide methods based on proper patterns only. In this way the approach that we propose is truly versatile and it can be adapted to any pattern recognition problem in an uncertain environment, where garbage patterns may appear. The proposed attempt to recognition with rejection combines known classifiers with geometric methods used for separating native patterns from foreign ones. Empirical verification has been conducted on datasets of handwritten digits classification (native patterns) and handwritten letters of Latin alphabet (foreign patterns).
KeywordsPattern recognition Classification Rejecting option Geometrical methods
The research is partially supported by the National Science Center, grant No. 2012/07/B/ST6/01501, decision No. DEC-2012/07/B/ST6/01501.
- 4.Burger, T., Kessentini, Y., Paquet, T.: Dempster-Shafer based rejection strategy for handwritten word recognition. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 528–532 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Homenda, W., Jastrzebska, A., Pedrycz, W.: Rejecting foreign elements in pattern recognition problem. Reinforced training of rejection level. In: Proceedings of ICAART 2015, pp. 90–99 (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.LeCun, Y., Cortes, C., Burges, C.: The MNIST database of handwritten digits. http://yann.lecun.com/exdb/mnist
- 10.Romanski, P., Kotthoff, L.: Package FSelector. http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/FSelector/FSelector.pdf
- 12.Scholkopf, B., Williamson, R., Smola, A., Shawe-Taylort, J., Platt, J.: Support vector method for novelty detection. Adv. Neural Inf. Process. Syst. 12, 582–588 (1992)Google Scholar
- 14.Todd, M.J., Yildirim, E.A.: On Khachiyan’s Algorithm for the Computation of Minimum Volume Enclosing Ellipsoids, 30 September 2005. http://people.orie.cornell.edu/miketodd/TYKhach.pdf
- 15.Wang, Y., Casasent, D.: A support vector hierarchical method for multi-class classification and rejection. In: Proceedings of International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 3281–3288 (2009)Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.