Performing Citizenship: Freedom March Selfies by Pakistani Instagrammers
Drawing on a close reading of ‘Freedom March’ selfies, published by Pakistani instagrammers in August–December 2014 under #azadimarch, Aziz discusses the relationship between selfies and civic participation offline and online. She offers a qualitative analysis of a shift in selfie practices from documenting media coverage to participation and citizenship performance by Pakistanis in a national freedom march organised in 2014. Focusing on photographs of participants published on Instagram, the chapter draws attention to selfie as a dialogical gesture and polemical representation of political identity performed on social media.
KeywordsSelfie Citizenship Performance Instagram #azadimarch
- Dunya News. (2015). Imran Khan accuses ECP of rigging general election. http://dunyanews.tv/en/Pakistan/284091-Imran-Khan-accuses-ECP-of-rigging-general-election. Accessed 14 September 2015.
- Frosh, P. (2015). The gestural image: The selfie, photography theory, and kinesthetic sociability. International Journal of Communication, 9, 1607–1628.Google Scholar
- Gunthert, A. (2015). La consécration du selfie. Une histoire culturelle. Etudes Photographiques, 32. http://etudesphotographiques.revues.org/3495.
- Isin, E. F. (2008). Theorizing acts of citizenship. In E. F. Isin & G. M. Nielsen (Eds.). Acts of citizenship. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Isin, E. F. (2012). Citizens without frontiers. New York and London: Bloomsbury.Google Scholar
- Mirzoeff, N. (2011). Occupy theory, For the Right to Look. http://nicholasmirzoeff.com/RTL/?p=314. Accessed 17 May 2016.
- Mottahedeh, N. (2015). #iranelection: Hashtag solidarity and the transformation of online life. California: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- OpenNet Initiative. (2012). Pakistan. https://opennet.net/research/profiles/pakistan Accessed 10 August 2015.
- Pew Research Center. (2015). Communications technology in emerging and developing nations. http://www.pewglobal.org/2015/03/19/1-communications-technology-in-emerging-and-developing-nations/. Accessed: 10 August 2015
- Senft, T. (2008). Camgirls: Celebrity and community in the age of social networks. New York: Peter Lang.Google Scholar
- Senft, T., & Baym, N. (2015). What does the selfie say? Investigating a global phenomenon. International Journal of Communication, 9, 1588–1606.Google Scholar
- We Are Social. (2013). Social, digital and mobile in Pakistan. http://wearesocial.net/blog/2013/01/social-digital-mobile-pakistan/. Accessed 10 August 2015
- We Are Social. (2014). Social, digital & mobile in 2014. http://wearesocial.sg/blog/2014/08/social-digital-mobile-august-2014/. Accessed 10 August 2015.