Collaborative Media Delivery in 5G Mobile Cloud Networks
Majority of global traffic transferred through the Internet nowadays, as well as in the near future, is related with video delivery service. For this reason each solution focusing on improvement of media distribution is in the high interest of both research community and industry. Particularly, new solutions are required in mobile systems, since it is expected that mobile video traffic growth will be twice faster than wired streaming. In this chapter, a new approach for media delivery in 5G mobile systems is proposed. It assumes collaboration of small base stations and users’ terminals, which create ad hoc peer-to-peer cloud streaming platform. The proposed system provides high quality of content delivery due to network-awareness assured by introducing resource allocation mechanisms into 5G Radio Access Network infrastructure. The solution has been implemented in a proof of concept and the performance evaluation tests verified that the system offers significant improvement, in terms of quality and availability of the content as well as lower delays in media delivery, comparing to traditional VoD service.
KeywordsRadio Access Network Mobile Cloud Content Server Upload Bandwidth Wireless Terminal
This work was undertaken under the Pollux IDSECOM project supported by the National Research Fund Luxembourg (FNR) and the National Centre for Research and Development (NCBiR) in Poland.
- 1.Cisco White Paper: Cisco Visual Networking Index: Forecast and Methodology, 2014–2019 (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Fajardo, J.O., Taboada, I., Liberal, F.: Improving content delivery efficiency through multi-layer mobile edge adaptation. IEEE Netw. 29(6), 40–46 (2015). doi: 10.1109/MNET.2015.7340423
- 4.Toledano, E., Sawada, D., Lippman, A., Holtzman, H., Casalegno, F.: CoCam: a collaborative content sharing framework based on opportunistic P2P networking. In: 2013 IEEE 10th Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC), Las Vegas, NV, 2013, pp. 158–163. doi: 10.1109/CCNC.2013.6488440
- 5.Zhong, M. et al.: ColStream: collaborative streaming of on-demand videos for mobile devices. In: Proceedings of IEEE 15th International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), Sydney, June 2014Google Scholar
- 7.Bruneau-Queyreix, J., Négru, D., Batalla, J.M., Borcoci, E.: Home-boxes: context-aware distributed middleware assisting content delivery solutions. In: Proceedings of the Posters and Demos Session (Middleware Posters and Demos’14), pp. 37–38. ACM, New York, NY, USA (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Resource Usage Prediction Algorithms for Optimal Selection of Multimedia Content Delivery MethodsGoogle Scholar
- 9.Efficient Entertainment Services Provision over a Novel Network ArchitectureGoogle Scholar
- 10.Patel, M. et al.: Mobile-Edge Computing Introductory Technical White Paper (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Jersey framework [Online]. https://jersey.java.net. Accessed Oct 2015
- 12.Grizzly framework [Online]. https://grizzly.java.net. Accessed Oct 2015
- 13.Squid caching proxy [Online]. http://www.squid-cache.org/. Accessed Oct 2015
- 14.Calamaris log parser [Online]. http://cord.de/calamaris-english. Accessed Oct 2015