Towards Combined Functional and Non-functional Semantic Service Discovery
Service-orientation is increasingly adopted by application and service developers, leading to a plethora of services becoming increasingly available. To enable constructing applications from such services, respective service description and discovery must be supported by considering both functional and non-functional aspects as they play a significant role in the service management lifecycle. However, research in service discovery has mainly focused on one aspect and not both of them. As such, this paper investigates the issues involved in considering both functional and non-functional aspects in service discovery. In particular, it proposes different ways via which aspect-specific algorithms can be combined to generate a complete service discovery system. It also proposes a specific unified service discovery architecture. Finally, it evaluates the proposed algorithms’ performance to give valuable insights to the reader.
KeywordsService Discovery Matchmaking Semantics Ontology Performance Evaluation Functional Non-functional QoS Architecture
This research has received funding from the European Community’s Framework Programme for Research and Innovation HORIZON 2020 (ICT-07-2014) under grant agreement number 644690 (CloudSocket).
- 1.Al-Masri, E., Mahmoud, Q.H.: Investigating web services on the world wide web. In: WWW, pp. 795–804. ACM, Beijing (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Charrad, M., Ayadi, N.Y., Ahmed, M.B.: A semantic and QoS-aware broker for service discovery. J. Res. Pract. Inf. Technol. 44(4), 387–399 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Cliffe, O., Andreou, D.: Service Matchmaking Framework. Public Deliverable D5.2a, Alive EU Project Consortium. http://www.ist-alive.eu/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=28&Itemid=49. Accessed 10 Sept 2009
- 12.Lemos, F., Grigori, D., Bouzeghoub, M.: Adding non-functional preferences to service discovery. In: Brambilla, M., Tokuda, T., Tolksdorf, R. (eds.) ICWE 2012. LNCS, vol. 7387, pp. 299–306. Springer, Heidelberg (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.Pathak, J., Koul, N., Caragea, D., Honavar, V.G.: A framework for semantic web services discovery. In: WIDM, pp. 45–50. ACM, New York (2005). http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1097047.1097057
- 18.Zhang, Y., Zheng, Z., Lyu, M.R.: WSPred: a time-aware personalized QoS prediction framework for web services. In: ISSRE (2011)Google Scholar
- 19.Zhou, C., Chia, L.T., Lee, B.S.: DAML-QoS ontology for web services. In: ICWS, p. 472. IEEE Computer Society (2004)Google Scholar