A Bearing-Only Pattern Formation Algorithm for Swarm Robotics
Pattern formation is a useful behaviour for a swarm of robots in order to maximize their efficiency at tasks such as surveying. Previous pattern formation algorithms have relied upon various combinations of measurements (bearing, distance, heading, unique identity) of swarm mates as inputs. The ability to measure distance, heading, and identity requires significant sensory and computational capabilities which may be beyond those of a swarm of simple robots. Furthermore, the use of unique identities reduces the scalability, flexibility and robustness of the algorithm. This paper introduces a decentralized pattern formation algorithm using bearing-only measurements to anonymous neighbours as input. Initial results indicate the proposed algorithm improves upon the performance, scalability, flexibility, and robustness when compared to a benchmark algorithm.
KeywordsBearing-only control Pattern formation Behaviour-based robotics Swarm robotics
The authors of this paper would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their helpful comments and insights.
- 2.Bishop, A.N., Basiri, M.: Bearing-only triangular formation control on the plane and the sphere. In: 2010 18th Mediterranean Conference on Control & Automation (MED), pp. 790–795. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Bishop, A.N., Shames, I., Anderson, B.: Stabilization of rigid formations with direction-only constraints. In: 2011 50th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and European Control Conference (CDC-ECC), pp. 746–752. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Franchi, A., Giordano, P.R.: Decentralized control of parallel rigid formations with direction constraints and bearing measurements. In: 2012 IEEE 51st Annual Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), pp. 5310–5317. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Gage, D.W.: Command control for many-robot systems. Technical report, DTIC Document (1992)Google Scholar
- 8.Monteiro, S., Bicho, E.: A dynamical systems approach to behavior-based formation control. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, ICRA 2002, vol. 3, pp. 2606–2611. IEEE (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.ROS: Robot Operating System. http://www.ros.org
- 12.Schoof, E., Chapman, A., Mesbahi, M.: Bearing-compass formation control: a human-swarm interaction perspective. In: American Control Conference (ACC), pp. 3881–3886. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.V-REP: Virtual Robot Experimentation Platform. http://www.coppeliarobotics.com/
- 15.Vardy, A., Shiell, N.: Bupigo: an open and extensible platform for visually-guided swarm robots (2015)Google Scholar