Preventing Perioperative Positioning and Equipment Injuries
Positioning the surgical patient requires teamwork and communication from all perioperative team members. Each has a unique role in positioning the patient safely and monitoring the patient for potential injury. Teams come together to assess the patient and plan preoperatively, position the patient for optimal exposure of the operative site, and monitor the patient for potential injury. This chapter provides information for all team members involved in positioning patients in various surgical positions and gives safety strategies for all patients and those with special needs such as the obese patient.
KeywordsSurgical positioning Equipment injury Positioning injury Surgical teams Surgical positions
- 3.Nagelhout JJ, Plaus KL. Nurse anesthesia. St. Louis, MO.: Saunders/Elsevier; 2010.Google Scholar
- 4.Kaplan J. Kaplan’s cardiac anesthesia. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2006.Google Scholar
- 5.Barach P. The impact of the patient safety movement on clinical care. Adv Anesth. 2003;21:51–80.Google Scholar
- 6.Phillips NF, Berry EC, Kohn ML. Berry & Kohn’s operating room technique. Louis, MO: St. Mosby; 2007.Google Scholar
- 9.National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel. European pressure ulcer advisory panel and pan pacific pressure injury alliance. Prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers: quick reference guide. Haesler E, editor. Perth, WA: Cambridge Media; 2014.Google Scholar
- 10.AORN. Guideline for positioning the patient. In: Guidelines for perioperative practice. AORN, Inc: Denver, CO; 2015. p. 563–81.Google Scholar
- 14.Barach P, Johnson J. Team based learning in microsystems-an organizational framework for success. Technol Instr Cogn Learn. 2006;3:307–21.Google Scholar
- 21.Roth S, Barach P. Post-operative visual loss: still no answers yet. Anesthesiology. 2001;95(3):575–7.Google Scholar
- 23.Mohr J, Batalden P, Barach P. Integrating patient safety into the clinical microsystem. Qual Saf Health Care. 2004;13:34–8.Google Scholar
- 27.Cdc.gov. Obesity and overweight for professionals: adult: defining—DNPAO—CDC [Internet]. 2015 [cited 21 August 2015]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/defining.html.
- 30.Abdullah H, Chung F. Perioperative management for the obese patient. Anesthesiology. 2014;27(6):576–82.Google Scholar