Optimal Data Collection in Hybrid Energy-Harvesting Sensor Networks
In hybrid energy harvesting sensor networks, there is a trade-off between the cost of data collection by a wireless sink and the timeliness of the collected data. The trade-off further depends on the energy harvesting capability of the sensor nodes as sensors cannot transmit data if they do not have sufficient energy. In this paper, we propose an analytic model for assessing the value of the information that a sensor node brings to decision making. We account for the timeliness of data by discounting the value of the information at the sensor over time and adopt the energy-chunk approach (i.e. discretise the energy level) to track energy harvesting and expenditure over time. Finally, by numerical experiments, we study the optimal data collection rate for the sensor node at hand.
KeywordsAge of information Sensor networks Energy harvesting Markov process
This research was partially funded by the Interuniversity Attraction Poles Programme initiated by the Belgian Science Policy Office.
- 5.Ammari, H.M., Gomes, N., Jacques, M., Maxim, B., Yoon, D.: A survey of sensor network applications and architectural components. Ad Hoc Sens. Wirel. Netw. 25(1–2), 1–44 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Sundmaeker, H., Guillemin, P., Friess, P., Woelfflé, S. (eds).: Vision and Challenges for Realising the Internet of Things (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Sachidananda, V., Khelil, A., Suri, N.: Quality of information in wireless sensor networks: a survey. In: Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Information Quality (ICIQ 2010), pp. 193–207 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Zhou, Z., Du, C., Shu, L., Hancke, G., Niu, J., Ning, H.: An energy-balanced heuristic for mobile sink scheduling in hybrid WSNs. IEEE Trans. Industr. Inf. 12(1), 28–40 (2016)Google Scholar
- 12.Bi, Y., Niu, J., Sun, L., Huangfu, W., Sun, Y.: Moving schemes for mobile sinks in wireless sensor networks. In: IEEE International Performance Computing, and Communications Conference, pp. 101–108 (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Nazir, B., Hasbullah, H.: Mobile sink based routing protocol (MSRP) for prolonging network lifetime in clustered wireless sensor network. In: Proceedings of the 2010 International Conference on Computer Applications and Industrial Electronics, pp. 624–629 (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Seyedi, A., Sikdar, B.: Performance modelling of transmission schedulers capable of energy harvesting. In: Proceedings of the ICC, Cape Town (2010)Google Scholar