A Simplified Control Approach for the Neuromuscular Blockade Level
In this paper a new simplified control scheme for the neuromuscular blockade level that only requires the knowledge of one model parameter is proposed. The control law is designed to track a desired target neuromuscular blockade level. Furthermore, an identification procedure to obtain the necessary model parameter is implemented. The results were validated by simulations based on real data collected during surgeries.
KeywordsPositive control law Neuromuscular level General anesthesia
This work was financially supported by: Project POCI-01-0145-FEDER-006933—SYSTEC—Research Center for Systems and Technologies—funded by FEDER funds through COMPETE2020—Programa Operacional Competitividade e Internacionalizao (POCI) and by national funds through FCT—Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia; The author Juliana Almeida acknowledge the support from FCT Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia under the SFRH/BD/87128/2012.
- 1.Haddad, W.M.: Nonnegative and Compartmental Dynamical Systems. Princeton University Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.da Silva, M.M., Wigren, T., Mendonça, T.: Nonlinear identification of a minimal neuromuscular blockade model in anesthesia. IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol. 20(1), 181–188 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Bastin, G., Provost, A.: Feedback stabilisation with positive control of dissipative compartmental systems. In: Proceedings of the 15th International Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems, pp. 1–9 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Almeida, J., da Silva, M.M., Mendonça, T., Rocha, P.: A compartmental model-based control strategy for neuromuscular blockade level. In: Proceedings of the 18th IFAC World Congress, pp. 599–604 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Almeida, J., Mendonça, T., Rocha, P.: An improved strategy for neuromuscular blockade control with parameter uncertainty. In: Proceedings of the 50th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and European Control Conference, pp. 867–872 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.da Silva, M.M., Sousa, C., Sebastião, R., Gama, J., Mendonça, T., Rocha, P., Esteves, S.: Total mass TCI driven by parametric estimation. In: Proceedings of the 17th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, pp. 1149–1154 (2009)Google Scholar