Monitoring and Simulation of Gas Pipelines Through Quadripole Models
In this paper we propose to model a high pressure gas network using a quadripole approach. Although being simple, the proposed model seems to be adequate to network analysis and control, and is directly extendible to more complex networks, i.e., networks with junctions and loops. The model is proven to be liable on a case study constructed from data supplied by REN Gasodutos, where we investigate the effect of a leakage on the mass flow and pressure along the pipeline with the final objective to define a model based methodology for leakage detection and location.
KeywordsInverse approach Leakage detection Gas networks Quadripole models Modelling Large scale systems
The authors are very grateful to the reviewers for their insightful comments that greatly contributed to improve the work. The second author would like to thank FCT (Project ref. UID/EEA/00048/2013) for their support to this research and its dissemination.
- 1.Adnan, N.F., et al.: Leak detection in MDPE gas pipeline using dual-tree complex wavelet transform. Aust. J. Basic Appl. Sci. 8(15), 356–360 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Baltazar, S.T., Azevedo Perdicoúlis, T.-P., Lopes dos Santos, P.: Quadripole models for simulation and leak detection on gas pipelines. In: Proceedings of 47th PSIG Annual Meeting, Vancouver, Canada (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Baltazar, S.T., Lopes dos Santos, P., Azevedo Perdicoúlis, T.-P.: Quadripole models for gas networks. In: Proceedings of XVI Congreso Latino Americano de Control Automático (CLCA), Cancn, Mexico (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Blasi, M. Di, et al.: Overview of Enbridge’s rupture recognition program. In: Proceedings of 46th PSIG Annual Meeting, New Orleans (LA), USA (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Geiger, G.: State-of-the-art in leak detection and localisation. In: Proceedings of Pipeline Technology 2006 Conference, Hannover, Germany (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Lopes dos Santos, P., et al.: A lumped transfer function model for high pressure gas pipelines. In: Proceedings of 49th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), Atlanta, GA, USA (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Lopes dos Santos, P., et al.: Modelling a leakage in high pressure gas network using a quadripole approach. In: Proceedings of 10th Simone Congress, Lisbon, Portugal (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Osiadacz, A.J.: Simulation and Analysis of Gas Networks. E. and F.N. Spon, London (1987)Google Scholar
- 11.REN-Gasodutos: Personal Communication (2014)Google Scholar