MDP Periodically Time-Varying Convolutional Codes
In this paper we use some classical ideas from linear systems theory to analyse convolutional codes. In particular, we exploit input-state-output representations of periodic linear systems to study periodically time-varying convolutional codes. In this preliminary work we focus on the column distance of these codes and derive explicit necessary and sufficient conditions for an (n, 2, 1) periodically time-varying convolutional code to have Maximum Distance Profile (MDP).
KeywordsConvolutional codes Periodically codes MDP codes
This work was supported in part by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT—Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia), through CIDMA—Center for Research and Development in Mathematics and Applications, within project UID/MAT/04106/2013.
This work was financially supported by: Project POCI-01-0145-FEDER-006933—SYSTEC—Research Center for Systems and Technologies—funded by FEDER funds through COMPETE2020—Programa Operational Competitividade e Internacionalização (POCI)—and by national funds through FCT—Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia.
- 2.Rosenthal, J.: Connections between linear systems and convolutional codes. In: Marcus B., Rosenthal, J. (eds.) Codes, Systems, and Graphical Models, vol. 123, pp. 39–66. Springer, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Almeida, P., Napp, D., Pinto, R.: A new class of superregular matrices and MDP convolutional codes. Linear Algebra Appl. 439(7), 2145–2147 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Climent, J.-J., Herranz, V., Perea C., Tomás, V.: A systems theory approach to periodically time-varying convolutional codes by means of their invariant equivalent. In: Bras-Amorós, M., Høholdt, T. (eds.) Applied Algebra, Algebraic Algorithms and Error-Correcting Codes, vol. 5527, pp. 73–82. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Hu, Q., Perez, L.C.: Some periodic time-varying convolutional codes with free distance achieving the Heller bound. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, p. 247 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Tomás, V.: Complete-MDP convolutional codes over the erasure channel. PhD Thesis, University of Alicante (2010)Google Scholar