Towards Network-Aware Service Placement in Community Network Micro-Clouds
Cloud services in community networks have been enabled by micro-cloud providers. They form community network micro-clouds (CNMCs), which grow organically, i.e. without being planned and optimized beforehand. Services running in community networks face specific challenges intrinsic to these infrastructures, such as the limited capacity of nodes and links, their dynamics and geographic distribution. CNMCs are used to deploy distributed applications, such as streaming and storage services, which transfer significant amounts of data between the nodes on which they run. Currently there is no support given to users for enabling them to chose better or the best option for specific service deployments. This paper looks at the next step in community network cloud service deployments, by taking network characteristics into account when deciding placement of service instances. We propose a service placement algorithm (PASP) that minimizes the service overlay diameter, while fulfilling service specific criteria. First, we characterize with simulations the potential performance gains of our approach. Secondly, we apply our algorithm to deploy a distributed storage service currently used in Guifi.net, and evaluate it in the real production network, assessing the performance and effects of our algorithm. We find that our PASP algorithm reduces the client reading times by an average of 16 % (with a max. improvement of 31 %) compared to the currently used organic placement scheme. Our results show how the choice of an appropriate set of nodes, taken from a larger resource pool, can influence service performance significantly.
KeywordsCommunity network micro-clouds Service placement
This work was supported by the EU Horizon 2020 Framework Program project netCommons (H2020-688768), by the EMJD-DC program and by the Spanish Government under contract TIN2013-47245-C2-1-R. This work was also supported by the national funds through Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia with reference UID/CEC/50021/2013.
- 2.Selimi, M., et al.: Integration of an assisted p2p live streaming service in community network clouds. In: Proceedings of the IEEE 7th International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, CloudCom 2015. IEEE, November 2015Google Scholar
- 3.Selimi, M., et al.: Performance evaluation of a distributed storage service in community network clouds. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience n/a-n/a cpe.3658 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Ryden, M., et al.: Nebula: distributed edge cloud for data intensive computing. In: IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering, IC2E 2014, pp. 57–66, March 2014Google Scholar
- 5.Cerdà-Alabern, L., Neumann, A., Escrich, P.: Experimental evaluation of a wireless community mesh network. In: Proceedings of the 16th ACM International Conference on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems, MSWiM 2013, pp. 23–30. ACM, New York (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.LaCurts, K., Deng, S., Goyal, A.: Choreo: network-aware task placement for cloud applications. In: Proceedings of the 2013 Conference on Internet MeasurementConference, IMC 2013, pp. 191–204. ACM, New York (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Agarwal, S., et al.: Volley: automated data placement for geo-distributed cloud services. In: Proceedings of the 7th USENIX Conference on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, NSDI 2010, Berkeley, CA, USA, USENIX Association 2–2 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Steiner, M., Gaglianello, B.G., Gurbani, V., Hilt, V., Roome, W. D., Scharf, M., Voith, T.: Network-aware service placement in a distributed cloud environment. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM 2012 Conference, SIGCOMM 2012, pp. 73–74. ACM, NewYork (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Klein, A., Ishikawa, F., Honiden, S.: Towards network-aware service composition in the cloud. In: Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on World Wide Web, WWW 2012, pp. 959–968. ACM, New York (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Alicherry, M., Lakshman, T.: Network aware resource allocation in distributed clouds. In: 2012 Proceedings of INFOCOM, pp. 963–971. IEEE, March 2012Google Scholar
- 12.Wang, S., Urgaonkar, R., Zafer, M., He, T., Chan, K., Leung, K.K.: Dynamic service migration in mobile edge-clouds. CoRR abs/1506.05261 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Wang, S., et al.: Dynamic service placement for mobile micro-clouds with predicted future costs. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC 2015, pp. 5504–5510, June 2015Google Scholar
- 15.Vega, D., Meseguer, R., Cabrera, G., Marques, J.: Exploring local service allocation in community networks. In: 10th International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications, WiMob 2014, pp. 273–280. IEEE, October 2014Google Scholar