Mapping Business-Aligned IT Perspective Patterns: A Practice in Public Service Organization
- 2.7k Downloads
The articulation of business-IT strategic alignment includes its representation as strategic knowledge for organization to shape the best strategic plan. Although the complexity affects generally any organization, special concern is paramount on the business-IT strategic alignment in public service organization as efficiency of its business is fundamental to serve the best to the public. The efficiency is achievable through a well-aligned IT to business strategy. Hence, this study investigates the articulation of the alignment patterns through mapping the business-aligned IT according to public service organization’s strategic domains. The motivation is to identify and analyze the business-IT strategic alignment patterns as a significant factor to support strategic alignment evaluation. The alignment perspective patterns are mapped on a matrix developed from concepts in strategic alignment model. The established perspective patterns are valuable as an influential aspect in the re-strategy effort to increase the effectiveness of the public service performance.
KeywordsBusiness-aligned IT Alignment mapping Alignment pattern Public service
This research was supported by the Young Researchers Grant (Geran Galakan Penyelidik Muda) in Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (GGPM-2014-044).
- Coleman, P., & Papp, R. (2006). Strategic alignment: Analysis of perspectives. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the 2006 Southern Association for Information Systems Conference, Florida, USA.Google Scholar
- Gerow, J. E., Grover, V., Thatcher, J., & Roth, P. L. (2014). Looking toward the future of IT-business strategic alignment through the past: A meta-analysis. MIS Quarterly, 38(4), 1059–1085.Google Scholar
- Kappelman, L., McLean, E., Johnson, V., & Gerhart, N. (2014). The 2014 SIM IT key issues and trends study. MIS Quarterly Executive, 13(4), 237–263.Google Scholar
- Khan, S. A., Qureshi, S. A., & Zaheer, A. (2012). Extending the IS strategic alignment model: A study from the perspective of service industries. Actual Problems of Economics, 2(4), 252–258.Google Scholar
- Luftman, J., & Derksen, B. (2012). Key issues for IT executives 2012: Doing more with less. MIS Quarterly Executive, 11(4), 207–218.Google Scholar
- Pelan Strategik 2009-2013. (2009). Retrieved from http://www.mpkj.gov.my/sgr_mpj-theme/pdf/Pelan_Strategik_MPKj.pdf
- Ullah, A., & Lai, R. (2011). Modeling business goal for business/IT alignment using requirements engineering. Journal of Computer Information Systems, 51(3), 21–28.Google Scholar
- Yetton, P., Henningsson, S., & Bjørn-Andersen, N. (2013). “Ready to acquire”: The IT resources required for a growth-by-acquisition business strategy. MIS Quarterly Executive, 12(1), 19–35.Google Scholar