Dynamic Scheduling in Real Time with Budget Constraints in Hybrid Clouds
In this paper we handle the problem of scheduling tasks in hybrid clouds for small companies which can spend only a fixed budget in order to handle specific situations where the demand is high and cannot be predicted. We describe a model with important characteristics for the resource utilization and we design an algorithm for scheduling tasks which are sent continuously for execution, optimizing the schedule for tasks with high priority and short deadline. We propose an architecture that meets the challenges encountered by small business in their systems for tasks scheduling. We describe the main components, Configuration Agent and Task Scheduler, and we analyze different test scenarios, proving the efficiency of the proposed strategy.
KeywordsHybrid clouds Dynamic scheduling Task priority Deadline Budget
The research presented in this paper is supported by the project DataWay: Real-time Data Processing Platform for Smart Cities: Making sense of Big Data, PN-II-RU-TE-2014-4-2731 founded by UEFISCDI. We would like to thank the reviewers for their time and expertise, constructive comments and valuable insight.
- 1.Oprescu, A.-M., Kielmann, T.: Bag-of-tasks scheduling under budget constraints. In: 2010 IEEE Second International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom), Indianapolis, IN, 30 November–3 December 2010, pp. 351–359. IEEE (2010). Print ISBN: 978-1-4244-9405-7Google Scholar
- 3.Oprescu, A.-M., Kielmann, T., Leahu, H.: Stochastic tail-phase optimization for bag-of-tasks execution in clouds. In: IEEE/ACM Fifth International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Van den Bossche, R., Vanmechelen, K., Broeckhove, J.: Cost-optimal scheduling in hybrid IaaS clouds for deadline constrained workloads. In: 2010 IEEE 3rd International Conference on Cloud Computing, pp. 228–235. IEEE (2010). Print ISBN: 978-1-4244-8207-8Google Scholar
- 6.Yanpei, L., Chunlin, L., Zhiyong, Y., Yuxuan, C., Lijun, X.: Research on cost-optimal algorithm of multi-QoS constraints for task scheduling in hybrid-cloud. J. Softw. Eng. 33–49 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Nicolae, A.A., Negru, C., Pop, F., Mocanu, M., Cristea, V.: Hybrid algorithm for workflow scheduling in cloud-based cyberinfrastructures. In: International Conference on Network-Based Information Systems (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Pop, F., Cristea, V., Bessis, N., Sotiriadis, S.: Reputation guided genetic scheduling algorithm for independent tasks in inter-clouds environments. In: 27th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshops (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Van den Bossche, R., Vanmechelen, K., Broeckhove, J.: Cost-efficient scheduling heuristics for deadline constrained workloads on hybrid clouds. In: Third IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Gutierrez-Garcia, J.O., Sim, K.M.: A family of heuristics for agent-based cloud bag-of-tasks scheduling. In: International Conference on Cyber-Enabled Distributed Computing and Knowledge Discovery (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Pinedo, M.L.: Scheduling Theory, Algorithms and Systems, 4th edn. Springer, Berlin (2012). ISBN 978-1-4614-1986-0Google Scholar