Towards an Integrated Workplace Mediation System: Reflections on the South African Experience
Workplace mediation is more than merely a potentially useful process for conflict resolution and disputes in the workplace. Reuben (2005) argues that the new world of work – characterized by a breakdown of hierarchies, de-siloing of functions, flexible job descriptions, and greater employee mobility requires adherence to principles of democratic governance. In this regard, effective and constructive internal dispute resolution systems are a vital consideration for any organization. Workplace mediation, which allows for a large measure of party autonomy and self-determination (Reuben, 2005), plays a critical role here by channeling inevitable tensions in the work environment into a constructive direction, supportive of broader organizational change.
KeywordsDispute Resolution Conflict Management Workplace Bully World Bank Group Unfair Labour Practice
- ACAS. (2013, February). Mediation: An approach to resolving workplace issues [online]. Available at http://www.cipd.co.uk/binaries/mediation-anapproach- to-resolving-workplace-issues_2013.pdf. Accessed on 6 July 2015.
- ACAS. (2014, March). Reframing resolution – Managing conflict and resolving individual employment disputes in the contemporary workplace [online]. Acas Policy Discussion Papers. Available at http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/6/9/reframing_policy_paper_FINAL.pdf. Accessed 15 Apr 2016.
- Antcliff, V. (2014). Use of mediation by SMEs in Great Britain [online]. Available at http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/media/mmuacuk/content/documents/carpe/2013-conference/papers/social-innovation/ValerieAntcliff.pdf. Accessed on 3 Aug 2015.
- Bendix, S. (2010). Industrial relations in South Africa. Cape Town: Juta.Google Scholar
- Benjamin, P. (2013). Assessing South Africa’s Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA). ILO Working Paper 47 [online]. Available at http://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---ed_dialogue/---dialogue/documents/publication/wcms_210181.pdf. Accessed 2 July 2015.
- Boulle, L., & Nesic, M. (2001). Mediation: Principles process practice. London: Bloomsbury Professional.Google Scholar
- Brand, J., Steadman, F., & Todd, C. (2012). Commercial mediation: A user’s guide. Cape Town: Juta.Google Scholar
- Bush, R., & Folger, J. (2005). The promise of mediation: Responding to conflict through empowerment and recognition. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.Google Scholar
- CCMA Annual Report 2013–2014 [online]. Available at: http://www.ccma.org.za/UploadedMedia/2013–14%20Annual%20Report.pdf. Accessed 2 July 2015.
- CIPD. (2011). Conflict Management, London: Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development [online]. Available at http://www.cipd.co.uk/binaries/5461_Conflict_manage_SR_WEB.pdf. Accessed 2 July 2015.
- Coben, J. (2000). Mediation’s dirty little secret: Straight talk about mediator manipulation and deception. Journal of Alternative Dispute Resolution in Employment, 2(4), 4–7.Google Scholar
- Colquitt, J. A. (2001). On the dimensionality of organizational justice: A construct validation of a measure. Journal of Applied Psychology, 86, 386–400. doi: 10.1037/0021-9010.86.3.386.
- Fox, M. (2005). Evaluation of the ACAS pilot of mediation and employment law: Visits to small companies. ACAS Research Paper 05/05 [online]. Available at http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/i/q/research-paper-05-05-accessible-version-July-2011.pdf. Accessed 20 June 2015.
- Grogan, J. (2014a). Workplace law. Cape Town: Juta.Google Scholar
- Grogan, J. (2014b). Labour litigation and dispute resolution. Cape Town: Juta.Google Scholar
- Javits, J. (2013). Internal Dispute Resolution at International Organizations [online]. Available at http://www.mediate.com/mobile/article.cfm?id=10468. Accessed 3 Aug 2015.
- Johnson, T. (2008) Knowledge and use of mediation in SMEs [online]. Available at http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/m/e/research-paper-02-08-SME-mediation-report-accessible-version-July-2011.pdf. Accessed 3 Aug 2015.
- Kenny, T. (2014). Developing the conversation about workplace mediation. Journal of Mediation & Applied Conflict Analysis [online]. Available at http://eprints.maynoothuniversity.ie/4676/. Accessed 31 July 2015.
- Latreille, P. (2010). Mediation at work: Of success, failure and fragility [online]. Available at: http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/1/4/Mediation_at_work_of_success-failure_and_fragility-accessible-versionmay-2012.pdf. Accessed 15 Apr 2016.
- Latreille, P. (2012). Mediation: A thematic review of the Acas/CIPD evidence [online]. Available at: http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/h/m/1311_Thematic_review_of_workplace_mediation-accessible-version-Apr-2012.pdf. Accessed 6 July 2015.
- Lurie, P. M. & Lack, J. (2014). Guided choice dispute resolution processes: reducing the time and expense to settlement [online]. Available at www.transnational-dispute-management.com/article.asp?key=2153. Accessed 30 July 2015.
- McDermott, P., Obar, R., Jose, A., & Bowers, M. (2000). An evaluation of the equal employment opportunity commission mediation program, US equal employment opportunity commission [online]. Available at http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/mediation/report/chapter6.html#VI.B.1. Accessed 3 Aug 2015.
- Moore, C. W. (2003). The mediation process: Practical strategies for resolving conflict. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Reuben, R. C. (2005). Democracy and dispute resolution: Systems design and the new workplace. Harvard Negotiation Law Review, 10(11), 11–68.Google Scholar
- Riskin, L. L. (2003). Decision making in mediation: The new old grid and the new grid system. Notre Dame Law Review, 79(1), 1–53.Google Scholar
- Rubins, N. (2009). Reconceptualising the mediation of investor-state disputes. Rutgers Conflict Resolution Law Journal, 7(1) [online]. Available at http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~rcrlj/articlespdf/boralessafall09.pdf. Accessed 30 July 2015.
- Sander, F. E. A. (2000). The future of ADR. Journal of Dispute Resolution, 1, 1–10.Google Scholar
- Saundry, R., & Wibberley, G. (2012). Mediation and early resolution: A case study in conflict management [online]. Research paper, No 12/12. London: Acas. Available at: http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/5/c/Mediation-and-Early-Resolution-A-Case-Study-in-Conflict-Management-accessible-version.pdf. Accessed 6 July 2015.
- Saundry, R., Bennett, T., & Wibberley, G. (2013). Workplace mediation: The participant experience, research paper 2/13 [online]. Available at: http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/t/j/Workplace-mediation-the-participant-experience.pdf. Accessed 8 July 2015.
- Seargeant, J. (2005). The ACAS small firms mediation pilot: Research to explore parties’ experiences and views on the value of mediation [online]. ACAS Research Paper 04/05. Available at http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/d/l/Research_Paper_04_05-accessible-version-July-2011.pdf. Accessed 8 July 2015.
- Sherman, M. (2003). Mediation, hype and hyperbole: How much should we believe? Dispute Resolution Journal, 58(3), 43–51.Google Scholar
- Tokiso Dispute Settlement. (2014). Dispute resolution digest. Cape Town: Juta & Co.Google Scholar
- Welsh, N. A. (2001). The thinning vision of self-determination in court-connected mediation: The inevitable price of institutionalization? Harvard Negotiation Law Review, 6(1), 85–91.Google Scholar
- Wojkowska, E. (2006). Doing justice: How informal justice systems can contribute [online]. Available at http://ru.unrol.org/files/UNDP%20DoingJusticeEwaWojkowska130307.pdf. Accessed 15 July 2015.
- Wolski, B. (2015). On mediation, legal representatives and advocates. University of New South Wales Law Journal, 38(1), 1–43.Google Scholar