Looking Back to Leap Forward: The Potential for e-mediation at Work
In this chapter, we provide an overview of the broad field of Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) so that we can set the stage for a more nuanced discussion of how e-mediation might contribute to dispute resolution mechanisms in the workplace. We discuss the context in which e-mediation has developed and grown, and consider non e-commerce uses for e-mediation such as the use of e-mediation in workplace conflicts. The primary aims of this chapter are (a) providing an overview of the ODR field and (b) provoking new and promising areas of expansion for e-mediation generally and in the workplace specifically. We propose several research avenues as well as suggestions for the application of e-mediation to online and on-ground workplace disputes based on relevant research. It is our hope that this chapter encourages further exploration and experimentation in the field of e-mediation at work.
KeywordsDispute Resolution Mediation Process Alternative Dispute Resolution Justice Perception Negotiation Support System
- Abdel Wahab, M. S., Katsh, E., & Rainey, D. (Eds.). (2012). ODR: Theory and practice. The Hague: Eleven International Publishing.Google Scholar
- Abernethy, S. (2003). Building large-scale online dispute resolution & trustmark systems. Proceedings of the UNECE Forum on ODR. Retrieved from http://odr.info/unece2003.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution. (n.d.). Cornell University Law School. Retrieved from www.law.cornell.edu/wex/alternative_dispute_resolution.
- Benyekhlef, K., & Gelinas, F. (2005). Online dispute resolution. LexElectronica, 10(2). Retrieved from http://ssrn.com/abstract=1336379.
- Bollen, K., & Euwema, M. (2008). Report: Online mediation in divorce cases. Retrieved from https://www.juripax.com/Publications/Online_mediation_leuven.pdf.
- Cole, S. R., & Blankley, K. M. (2006). Online mediation: Where we have been, where we are now, and where we should be. The University of Toledo Law Review, 193, 1–22.Google Scholar
- Dennis, A. R., Fuller, R. M., & Valacich, J. S. (2008). Media, tasks, and communication processes: A theory of media synchronicity. MIS Quarterly, 32(2), 575–600.Google Scholar
- Ebner, N. (2008). Online dispute resolution: Applications for e-HRM. In T. Torres-Coronas & M. Arias-Oliva (Eds.), Encyclopedia of human resources information systems: Challenges in e-HRM. Hershey: Idea Group Reference Publishing.Google Scholar
- Ebner, N. (2012a). E-mediation. In M. S. Abdel Wahab, E. Katsh, & D. Rainey (Eds.), ODR: Theory and practice (pp. 369–398). The Hague: Eleven International Publishing.Google Scholar
- Ebner, N. (2012b). ODR and interpersonal trust. In M. S. Abdel Wahab, E. Katsh, & D. Rainey (Eds.), ODR: Theory and practice (pp. 214–248). The Hague: Eleven International Publishing.Google Scholar
- Ebner, N., & Efron, Y. (2012). Rough day @ work: Resolving conflict through an online simulation. In E. Biech (Ed.), The 2012 Pfeiffer annual of training (pp. 67–76). San Francisco: Pfeiffer.Google Scholar
- Ebner, N., & Thompson, J. (2014). @Face value? Nonverbal communication and trust development in online video-based mediation. International Journal of Online Dispute Resolution, 1(2), 103–124.Google Scholar
- Ebner, N., & Zeleznikow, J. (2015). Fairness, trust & security in online dispute resolution. Hamline Journal of Public Law and Policy, 36(2), 143–160.Google Scholar
- Getz, C. (2010). Evaluation of the distance mediation project: Report on phase II of the technology-assisted family mediation project. Retrieved from http://www.mediatebc.com/PDFs/1-2-Mediation-Services/Distance-Mediation-Project---Evaluation-Report.aspx.
- Goodman, J. W. (2003). The pros and cons of online dispute resolution: An assessment of cyber-mediation websites. Duke Law and Technology Review, 2(1), 1–16.Google Scholar
- Jani, S., & Getz, C. (2012). Mediating from a distance: Suggested practice guidelines for family mediators (2nd ed.). Mediate BC Society: Vancouver. Available at http://www.mediatebc.com/PDFs/1-14-Family-Mediation---FAQs/Guidelines_Mediating-from-a-Distance-(Second-editi.aspx last viewed August 19th 2015.
- Katsh, E. (1996). Dispute resolution in cyberspace. Connecticut Law Review., 28(4), 953–980.Google Scholar
- Katsh, E. (2012). ODR: A look at history. In M. S. Abdel Wahab, E. Katsh, & D. Rainey (Eds.), Online dispute resolution: Theory and practice (pp. 21–37). The Hague: Eleven International Publishing.Google Scholar
- Katsh, E., Rifkin, J., & Gaitenby, A. (2000). E-commerce, e-disputes, and e-dispute resolution: In the shadow of the “eBay law”. Ohio State Journal of Dispute Resolution, 15(3), 705–734.Google Scholar
- Katsh, M. E., & Rifkin, J. (2001). Online dispute resolution: Resolving conflicts in cyberspace. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Kressel, K., & Pruitt, D. G. (1989). Conclusion: A research perspective on the mediation of social conflict. In K. Kressel & D. G. Pruitt (Eds.), Mediation research: The process and efffectiveness of third-party intervention (pp. 394–435). San Francisco: Jossey Bass.Google Scholar
- Lavi, D. (2015). No more click? Click in here: E-mediation in divorce disputes—the reality and the desirable. Cardozo Journal of Conflict Resolution, 16(2), 479–541.Google Scholar
- Mayer, B. S. (2004). Beyond neutrality: Confronting the crisis in conflict resolution. San Francisco: Josey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Nabatchi, T., & Bingham, L. B. (2001). Transformative mediation in the USPS redress program: Observations of ADR specialists. Hofstra Labor and Employment Law Journal, 18, 399–427.Google Scholar
- Pearlstein, A., Hanson, B., & Ebner, N. (2012). ODR in North America. In M. S. Abdel Wahab, E. Katsh, & D. Rainey (Eds.), Online dispute resolution: Theory and practice (pp. 443–464). The Hague: Eleven International Publishing.Google Scholar
- Ross, G. (2014). Online dispute resolution. What? Why? When? Civil Mediation Council, Leeds. Retrieved from PowerPoint lecture: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PFxa2UpLM_kJ:www.civilmediation.org/downloads-get%3Fid%3D638+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us.
- Rule, C. (2002). Online dispute resolution for business: B2B, e-commerce, consumer, employment, insurance, and other commercial conflicts. San Francisco: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Rule, C. (2012). Quantifying the economic benefits of effective redress: Large e-commerce data sets and the cost-benefit case for investing in dispute resolution. University of Arkansas Little Rock Law Review, 34, 767–833.Google Scholar
- Tait, C. (2013). Evaluation of the distance mediation project: Report on phase III of the technology-assisted family mediation project. Retrieved from http://www.mediatebc.com/PDFs/1-2-Mediation-Services/Distance-Family-Mediation-Evaluation-Report-FINAL.aspx.
- Thiessen, E., Miniato, P., & Hiebert, B. (2012). ODR and eNegotiation. In M. S. Abdel Wahab, E. Katsh, & D. Rainey (Eds.), ODR: Theory and practice (pp. 341–368). The Hague: Eleven International Publishing.Google Scholar
- Wahab, M. S. A., Katsh, E., & Rainey, D. (2012). Online dispute resolution: Theory and practice. The Hague: Eleven International Publishing.Google Scholar