A Clustering Based Feature Selection Method Using Feature Information Distance for Text Data
- 1.4k Downloads
Feature selection is a key point in text classification. In this paper a new feature selection method based on feature clustering using information distance is put forward. This method using information distance measure builds a feature clusters space. Firstly, K-medoids clustering algorithm is employed to gather the features into k clusters. Secondly the feature which has the largest mutual information with class is selected from each cluster to make up a feature subset. Finally, choose target number features according to the mRMR algorithm from the selected subset. This algorithm fully considers the diversity between features. Unlike the incremental search algorithm mRMR, it avoids prematurely falling into local optimum. Experimental results show that the features selected by the proposed algorithm can gain better classification accuracy.
KeywordsText classification Feature selection Cluster Diversity
This research was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61472467).
- 11.Vinh, N.X., Epps, J., Bailey, J.: Effective global approaches for mutual information based feature selection. In: International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 512–521. ACM (2014)Google Scholar
- 16.Liu, Q., Zhang, J., Xiao, J., Zhu, H., Zhao, Q.: A supervised feature selection algorithm through minimum spanning tree clustering. In: IEEE 26th International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI), pp. 264–271 (2014)Google Scholar
- 18.Vinh, N.X., Epps, J., Bailey, J.: Information theoretic measures for clusterings comparison: is a correction for chance necessary? In: 26th AI Conference, pp. 1073–1080 (2009)Google Scholar
- 19.Vinh, N.X, Epps, J.: A novel approach for automatic number of clusters detection in microarray data based on consensus clustering. In: 9th IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and BioEngineering, pp. 84–91 (2009)Google Scholar
- 22.Fayyad, U., Irani, K.B.: Multi-interval discretization of continuous valued attributes for classification learning. In: 13th IJCAI, pp. 1022–1027 (1993)Google Scholar