Advertisement

An Assessment of the Occupational Noise Exposure of Toll Tellers Along the North Luzon Expressway

  • Maria Josefina FiderEmail author
  • Ma. Andrea Naguit
  • Mary Jef Rose Orata
  • Benette Custodio
Conference paper
Part of the Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing book series (AISC, volume 494)

Abstract

Traffic Noise is one of the primary occupational hazards experienced by the toll tellers. The sustained exposure to significantly high noise levels negatively affects the cardiovascular and auditory system. The study evaluates the toll booth location along the North Luzon Expressway (NLEX), Philippines in need of mitigation measures to further reduce the workers’ exposure to noise and reduce the stress experienced because of sustained noise exposure. 31 out of 99 toll tellers at eleven booths were surveyed and subjected to audiometry test. Environmental sound levels were measured. 71.88 % of the tested workers experience poor hearing, the remaining 28.13 % exhibit mild hearing impairment. Most toll plazas located in cities, municipalities, or commercial centers exceeded 75 dB sound level. Locations of toll facilities falling within the standard noise level are found to have lesser employees displaying symptoms of mild or poor hearing compared to locations surpassing the standard.

Keywords

Noise-induced hearing loss Occupational hazard Noise sensitivity 

References

  1. 1.
    Nadya, S., Dawal, S.Z., Tuan Ya, T.M.Y.S., Hamidi, M.: A Study of Occupational Noise Exposure among Toll Tellers at Toll Plaza in Malaysia, vol 3. MultiConference (2010)Google Scholar
  2. 2.
    Dix, H.: Environmental Pollution. The Institute of Environment Sciences Series, New York (1981)Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2017

Authors and Affiliations

  • Maria Josefina Fider
    • 1
    Email author
  • Ma. Andrea Naguit
    • 1
  • Mary Jef Rose Orata
    • 1
  • Benette Custodio
    • 1
  1. 1.Department of Industrial Engineering and Operations ResearchUniversity of the Philippines DilimanQuezon CityPhilippines

Personalised recommendations