A Novel Multivariate Mapping Method for Analyzing High-Dimensional Numerical Datasets
- 1.1k Downloads
In modern science, dealing with high dimensional datasets is a very common task due to the increasing availability of data. Multivariate data analysis represents challenges in both theoretical and empirical levels. Until now, several methods for dimensionality reduction like Principal Component Analysis, Low Variance Filter and High Correlated Columns has been proposed. However, sometimes the reduction achieved by existing methods is not accurate enough to analyze datasets where, for practical reasons, more reduction of the original dataset is required. In this paper, we propose a new method to transform high dimensional dataset into a one-dimensional. We show that such transformation preserves the properties of the original dataset and thus, it can be suitable for many applications where a high reduction is required.
KeywordsFeature selection Dimensionality reduction Density estimation
The authors acknowledge the support of Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y tecnología (CONACyT) and Centro de Investigación y Estudios Avanzados-CINVESTAV.
- 2.Cox, K.A., Dante, H.M., Maher, R.J.: Product appearance inspection methods and apparatus employing low variance filter, 17 August 1993. US Patent 5,237,621Google Scholar
- 5.Hyndman, R.J.: The problem with sturges rule for constructing histograms. Monash University (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Hyndman, R.J., Fan, Y.: Sample quantiles in statistical packages. Am. Stat. 50(4), 361–365 (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Kalegele, K., Takahashi, H., Sveholm, J., Sasai, K., Kitagata, G., Kinoshita, T.: On-demand data numerosity reduction for learning artifacts. In: 2012 IEEE 26th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA), pp. 152–159. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Lane, D.M.: Online statistics education: an interactive multimedia course of study (2015). http://onlinestatbook.com/2/graphing_distributions/histograms.html. Accessed 03 Dec 2015
- 9.Liu, H., Motoda, H.: Instance Selection and Construction for Data Mining, vol. 608. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Shlens, J.: A tutorial on principal component analysis (2014). arXiv preprint arXiv:1404.1100
- 12.Skalak, D.B.: Prototype and feature selection by sampling and random mutation hill climbing algorithms. In: Proceedings of the Eleventh International Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 293–301 (1994)Google Scholar
- 14.Lei, Y., Liu, H.: Feature selection for high-dimensional data: a fast correlation-based filter solution. ICML 3, 856–863 (2003)Google Scholar