Single Droplet Tracking in Jet Flow
Fluid systems such as the multiphase flow and the jet flow usually involve droplets and/or bubbles whose morphological properties can provide important clues about the underlying phenomena. In this paper, we develop a new visual tracking method to track the evolution of single droplets in the jet flow. Shape and motion features of the detected droplets are fused and Bhattacharyya distance is employed to find the closest droplet among possible candidates in consecutive frames. Shapes of the droplets are not assumed to be circles or ellipses during segmentation process, which utilizes morphological operations and thresholding. The evolution of single droplets in the jet flow were monitored via Particle Shadow Sizing (PSS) technique where they were tracked with 86 % average accuracy and 15 fps real-time performance.
KeywordsJet flow Droplet Bubble Morphology Segmentation Tracking Bhattacharyya distance
This work was supported by TUBITAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey) under Grant No 113S092. Equipment utilization support from Sabanci University Nanotechnology Research and Applications Center (SUNUM) is gratefully acknowledged.
- 4.Alcan, G., Ghorbani, M., Kosar, A., Unel, M.: Vision based cone angle estimation of bubbly cavitating flow and analysis of scattered bubbles using micro imaging techniques. Industrial Electronics Society, IECON 2015-41st Annual Conference of the IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Prasad, A.K.: Particle image velocimetry. Curr. Sci. Bangalore 79(1), 51–60 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Brossard, C., Monnier, J.C., Barricau, P., Vandernoot, F.X., Le Sant, Y., Champagnat, F., Le Besnerais, G.: Principles and applications of particle image velocimetry. AerospaceLab 1, 1–11 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Durst, F., Melling, A., Whitelaw, J.H.: Principles and practice of laser-Doppler anemometry. NASA STI/Recon Technical Report A 76, 47019 (1976)Google Scholar
- 9.Estevadeordal, J., Goss, L.: PIV with LED: particle shadow velocimetry (PSV). In: 43rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Meeting Papers, pp. 12355–12364 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Qian, X., Zhu, H., Yu, X., Chen, G.: Genetic algorithm based bubble matching and tracking in aerated water flows. Intell. Control Autom. 3, 2146–2148 (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Gonzales, R.C., Woods, R.E., Eddins, S.L.: Digital Image Processing Using MATLAB. Pearson Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (2004)Google Scholar
- 21.Haralick, R.M., Shapiro, L.G.: Computer and Robot Vision. Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Boston (1991)Google Scholar
- 22.Wu, Q., Merchant, F., Castleman, K.: Microscope Image Processing. Academic press, Boston (2010)Google Scholar