Generating Image Descriptions for SmartArts
Visual information such as SmartArts are often used in presentations and lectures. SmartArts are visual information containing some text and graphical elements. They have to be described verbally to become accessible for visually impaired and blind people. But a manual image description is often not provided or misses information about the pictorial part of SmartArt diagrams. We present a PowerPoint Add-In to create image descriptions semiautomatically. Both a short description and a long description containing details are generated. The author can adjust the generation by modifying a template. In a user evaluation the quality of manually and semi-automatic transcribed images were tested.
KeywordsSmartArt Alternative description Images
We thank Florian Dietz for supporting the development of the MarkdownConverter for Microsoft PowerPoint and Sebastian Humenda for the development of Matuc.
- 1.Adobe: Creating Accessible Adobe PDF Files - A Guide for Document Authors, March 2016. https://www.adobe.com/enterprise/accessibility/pdfs/acro6_pg_ue.pdf
- 2.MacFarlane, J.: Retrieved from Pandoc a universal document converter, 23 March 2016. http://pandoc.org/
- 3.Microsoft: Retrieved from Learn more about SmartArt graphics, January 2016. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Learn-more-about-SmartArt-graphics-91d1bf9b-8c06-4e21-ad31-f2c21af7d53b
- 4.Microsoft: Add alternative text to a shape, picture, chart, table, SmartArt graphic, or other object, March 2016. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-alternative-text-to-a-shape-picture-chart-table-SmartArt-graphic-or-other-object-44989b2a-903c-4d9a-b742-6a75b451c669
- 6.Petrie, H., Harrison, C., Dev, S.: Describing images on the web: a survey of current practice and prospects for the future. In: Proceedings of Human Computer, pp. 1–10 (2005). http://www.academia.edu/download/30388620/hcii05_alt_text_paper.pdf
- 7.Voegler, J., Bornschein, J., Weber, G.: Markdown – a simple syntax for transcription of accessible study materials. In: Miesenberger, K., Fels, D., Archambault, D., Peňáz, P., Zagler, W. (eds.) ICCHP 2014, Part I. LNCS, vol. 8547, pp. 545–548. Springer, Heidelberg (2014). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-08596-8_85 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.W3C: Retrieved from HTML5 Image Description Extension (longdesc), 26 February 2015. https://www.w3.org/TR/html-longdesc/
- 9.W3C: Retrieved from Techniques for WCAG 2.0, March 2016. https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/