A Service Based Architecture for Multidisciplinary IoT Experiments with Crowdsourced Resources
Research on emerging networking paradigms, such as Mobile Crowdsensing Systems, requires new types of experiments to be conducted and an increasing spectrum of devices to be supported by experimenting facilities. In this work, we present a service based architecture for IoT testbeds which (a) exposes the operations of a testbed as services by following the Testbed as a Service (TBaaS) paradigm; (b) enables diverse facilities to be federated in a scalable and standardized way and (c) enables the seamless integration of crowdsourced resources (e.g. smartphones and wearables) and their abstraction as regular IoT resources. The architecture enables an experimenter to access a diverse set of resources and orchestrate experiments via a common interface by hiding the underlying heterogeneity and complexity. This way, the field of IoT experimentation with real resources is further promoted and broadened to also address researchers from other fields and disciplines.
KeywordsInternet of Things Testbeds Architectures Platforms Crowd
This work was supported by the EU/FIRE IoT Lab project- STREP ICT-610477.
- 1.APISENSE - Crowd-sensing made easy! www.apisense.com/. Accessed April 2016
- 2.Fed4FIRE project. http://www.fed4fire.eu/. Accessed April 2016
- 3.Funf - Open sensing framework. http://funf.org/. Accessed April 2016
- 4.Rspec, fed4fire project. http://fed4fire-testbeds.ilabt.iminds.be/asciidoc/rspec.html. Accessed April 2016
- 6.Angelopoulos, C., Evangelatos, O., Nikoletseas, S., Raptis, T., Rolim, J., Veroutis, K.: A user-enabled testbed architecture with mobile crowdsensing support for smart, green buildings. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), pp. 573–578, June 2015Google Scholar
- 8.Arduino: Arduino motes. https://www.arduino.cc/. Accessed April 2016
- 11.Crossbow, T.: Telosb. www.willow.co.uk/TelosB_Datasheet.pdf. Accessed April 2016
- 12.Farina, F., Szegedi, P., Sobieski, J.: GEANT world testbed facility: federated and distributed testbeds as a service facility of GEANT. In: 2014 26th International Teletraffic Congress (ITC), pp. 1–6, September 2014Google Scholar
- 17.Nandugudi, A., Maiti, A., Ki, T., Bulut, F., Demirbas, M., Kosar, T., Qiao, C., Ko, S.Y., Challen, G.: PhoneLab: a large programmable smartphone testbed. In: Proceedings of First International Workshop on Sensing and Big Data Mining, SENSEMINE 2013, pp. 4:1–4:6. ACM, New York (2013)Google Scholar
- 18.Pokric, B., Krco, S., Drajic, D., Pokric, M., Jokic, I., Stojanovic, M.: ekoNET - environmental monitoring using low-cost sensors for detecting gases, particulate matter, and meteorological parameters. In: 2014 Eighth International Conference on Innovative Mobile and Internet Services in Ubiquitous Computing (IMIS) (2014)Google Scholar
- 19.Zolertia: Zolertia motes. http://zolertia.io/. Accessed April 2016