User Experience Studies Based on Expectation Dis-confirmation Theory
In order to measure and predict user experience (UX) more accurately, researchers have proposed a variety of models to integrate various factors affecting user experience. However, the complexity of user experience research is due to the dynamically changing factors of user and environment. The user expectation is not only affected by social communication and media, but also formed by his\her previous experience of similar products. To study user experience in the temporal dimension, we must consider the dynamic nature of user expectation and take the interaction between user expectation and user experience into account.
In this study, we first discuss the definition of user expectation, and then explore how the previous user experiences to existing products influence the present user expectation, and thereby affect the successive user experience on a new design.
KeywordsUser experience User expectation
- ISO (International Standards Organization): ISO 9241-210. Ergonomics of human system interaction. In: Part 210: Human-Centred Design for Interactive Systems. ISO, Geneva, Switzerland (2008)Google Scholar
- Karapanos, E., Zimmerman, J., Forlizzi, J., Martens, J.-B.: User experience over time: an initial framework. In: Greenberg, S., Hudson, S.E. (eds.) Proceedings of 27th Annual SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI 2009, pp. 729–738. ACM, New York, USA (2009)Google Scholar
- Mendoza, V., Novick, D.: Usability over time. In: Proceedings of 23rd Conference on Computer Documentation, pp. 151–158. ACM, Coventry, UK (2005)Google Scholar
- Norman, D.A.: Emotional Design, Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things. Basic Books, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- Roto, V.: User experience building blocks. In: Conjunction with Nordi CHI 2006 Conference (2006a). http://research.nokia.com/files/UX-BuildingBlocks.pdf. Accessed 4 July 2010
- Roto, V.: Web browsing on mobile phones -characteristics of user experience. Ph.D. dissertation, Helsinki University of Technology, Espoo, Finland (2006b)Google Scholar
- Sun, L., Wu, J.: Total user experience design based on time dimension. Packag. Eng. 2, 009 (2014)Google Scholar
- User Experience (Wikipedia). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_experience
- Zhigang, S., Feng, W., Jianmin, W.: The measurement of cumulative satisfaction: an analytical model based on dynamic customer expectation. Nankai Bus. Rev. 3, 142–150 (2011)Google Scholar