Atypical Rhetorical Actions: Defying Genre Expectations on Amazon.com
The author considers the extent to which genre defiance is caught between typification and emergence. To what extent must atypical rhetorical actions mobilize socially recognizable types? Examining Amazon.com product reviews that deliberately defy genre expectations—and thus the market—in product reviews provides a case study to investigate genre defiance. We learn that rhetors cannot move into some kind of “genre-free” zone, but they can defy genre expectations using satire, parody, and reflexivity. Even genre defiance happens in relatively typified ways, which actually enables rhetors like defiant Amazon.com reviewers to reconstitute rhetorical situations and thus call for more fitting and recognizable responses to perceived exigencies.
KeywordsProduct Review Online Retailer Tennis Match Recurrent Situation Rhetorical Situation
- Avery Durable View Binder. Amazon.com. www.amazon.com/Avery-Durable-Binder-11-Inch-17032/dp/B001B0CTMU. Accessed 17 Apr 2013.
- Bawarshi, Anis. 2003. Genre and the invention of the writer. Logan: Utah State University Press.Google Scholar
- Bawarshi, Anis, and Mary Jo Reiff. 2010. Genre: An introduction to history, theory, research, and pedagogy. West Lafayette: Parlor Press.Google Scholar
- BIC Cristal for Her Ball Pen. 2013. Amazon.com. www.amazon.com/BIC-Cristal-1-0mm-Black-MSLP16-Blk/dp/B004F9QBE6. Accessed 17 Apr 2013.
- Bolter, Jay David, and Richard Grusin. 2000. Remediation: Understanding new media. Cambridge, MA: MIT.Google Scholar
- Bradley, E. 2012a. Holds all my women. Amazon.com, October 17. www.amazon.com/review/R2T95A7RNAPUB1/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm. Accessed 17 Apr 2013.
- ———. 2012b. Ideal for a variety of feminine writing tasks. Amazon.com, August 27. www.amazon.com/review/R2U0XX4STGCRX3/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm. Accessed 17 Apr 2013.
- Degeneres, Ellen. 2012. Bic pens for women. Ellentv.com, October 12. www.ellentv.com/videos/0-mmky9xia/. Accessed 17 Apr 2013.
- Devitt, Amy J. 2004. Writing genres. Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press.Google Scholar
- Edgar. 2008. Make this your only stock and store. Amazon.com, July 8. www.amazon.com/review/RXXPVOUH9NLL3/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm. Accessed 17 Apr 2013.
- ———. 2013. Edgar. Amazon.com. www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A1TH466NL1QCSM/ref=cm_cr_dp_pdp. Accessed 17 Apr 2013.
- Focillon, Henri. 1948. The life of forms in art. New York: Wittenborn, Schultz, Inc.Google Scholar
- ———. 1982. Kinds of literature. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Freadman, Anne. 1994. Anyone for tennis? In Genre and the new hetoric, eds. Aviva Freedman and Peter Medway, 43–66. New York: Taylor and Francis.Google Scholar
- ———. 2002. Uptake. In The rhetoric and ideology of genre, eds. Richard Coe, Lorelei Lingard, and Tatiana Teslenko, 39–53. Kresskill: Hampton Press.Google Scholar
- Funding Universe. 2014. Amazon.com, Inc. History, June 1. www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/amazon-com-inc-history/.
- Gingrich, Newt. 2007. A fine novel. Amazon.com, September 20. www.amazon.com/review/R1DS7ETHJ288LT/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm. Accessed 17 Apr 2013.
- ———. 2013. Newt Gingrich. Amazon.com. www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A27WFYW9ZJ5DN1/ref=cm_cr_dp_pdp. Accessed 17 Apr 2013.
- Hamilton, Tracey. 2012. Finally! Amazon.com, August 24. www.amazon.com/review/R19XO9PS38WRWO/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm. Accessed 17 Apr 2013.
- Hesse, Doug. 2004. Identity and the internet: The telling case of Amazon.com’s top fifty reviewers. In The private, the public, and the published: Reconciling private lives and public rhetoric, eds. Barbara Couture and Thomas Kent, 139–152. Logan: Utah State University Press.Google Scholar
- Kaufman, Joanne. 2005. A novel heroine: Harriet Klausner, online book reviewer. The Wall Street Journal, March 29. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB111206500829391682?mg=reno64-wsj. Accessed 29 Sept 2013.
- Kill, Melanie. 2006. Acknowledging the rough edges of resistance: Negotiation of identities for first-year composition. College Composition and Communication 58(2): 213–235.Google Scholar
- Klausner, Harriet. 2013a. A strong insightful historical. Amazon.com, September 17. www.amazon.com/review/R45BEJIVE3J8A/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm. Accessed 29 Sept 2013.
- ———. 2013b. Harriet Klausner. Amazon.com. www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AFVQZQ8PW0L/ref=cm_cr_rdp_pdp. Accessed 29 Sept 2013.
- Miller, Carolyn R., and Dawn Shepherd. 2004. Blogging as social action: A genre analysis of the weblog. In Into the blogosphere: Rhetoric, community, and culture of weblogs, eds. Laura J. Gurak, Smiljana Antonijevic, Laurie Johnson, Clancy Ratliff, and Jessica Reyman. http://blog.lib.umn.edu/blogosphere/blogging_as_social_action.html. Accessed 6 June 2014.
- Quintero, Reuben. 2011. A companion to satire: Ancient and modern. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell. www.blackwellreference.com/subscriber/book.html?id=g 9781405119559_9781405119559. Accessed 29 Sept 2013.
- Schilb, John. 2007. Rhetorical refusals: Defying audiences’ expectations. Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press.Google Scholar
- Schryer, Catherine. 1994. The lab vs the clinic: Sites of competing genres. In Genre and the new rhetoric, eds. Aviva Freedman and Peter Medway, 105–124. New York: Taylor and Francis.Google Scholar
- Tone, Philip. 2006. Chateau du Lait Blanc, watch out! Amazon.com, August 9. www.amazon.com/review/R3K9PWS2J0S7AK/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm. Accessed 17 Apr 2013.
- ———. 2013. A cultural phenomenon. Amazon.com, April 24. www.amazon.com/review/R1T3CSQ837HGLG/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm. Accessed 29 Sept 2013.
- Tuscan Whole Milk. 2013. Amazon.com. www.amazon.com/Tuscan-Whole-Milk-Gallon-128/dp/B00032G1S0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top. Accessed 27 Apr 2013.
- Zeller, Tom. 2006. On Amazon, all of a sudden everyone’s a Milk Critic. New York Times, August 9. www.nytimes.com/2006/08/09/technology/09milk.html?_r=0. Accessed 29 Sept 2013.